Physics research outside academia?

In summary, this person is looking for a career in research and development where physics is a major contribution. There are many companies that may be able to offer this, but it may require an existing link between the researcher and the company.
jamez_302
Wondering if somebody could help me.

I'm in the 3rd year of a 4 year MPhys course and at the point where I am actively applying for placements/internships etc and thinking about what to do after university.

I love physics don't get me wrong, but really don't fancy staying at uni for another 3/4 years to do a Ph.D. However, I do want to have a career in research and development where physics is a major contribution. Are there any companies where I could get a research based career with just a MPhys degree? I'm interested mainly in nuclear, atomic, solid state, laser physics. I'm also expecting to get a 1st class degree when I graduate.

Thanks
James

Physics news on Phys.org
Europe, or somewhere else where a MSc is common?
Many companies look for physicists for various research tasks. A PhD is rarely necessary, although experience in method X used by company Y can help a lot. Industrial research is more product-oriented, of course.

There is also the possibility of doing your Ph.D. in industry.

DrClaude said:

What sort of companies offer these if you know of any?

DrClaude said:
WHAT? An industry or company that grants advanced degrees to students or employees?

symbolipoint said:
WHAT? An industry or company that grants advanced degrees to students or employees?
No... Industrial Ph.D.s are granted by universities, but for research mostly done in industry. What happens most often is that one gets two supervisors, one at the university and the other at the company. It is not all that common yet, but in my corner of the world we are getting lots of incentive to do things like this, to bridge academia with industry.

jamez_302 said:
What sort of companies offer these if you know of any?
They usually are big companies, with a substantial R&D department. Although I know some people working with a smaller company, doing numerical simulations (the expertise on the simulations comes from the university, but the problem is applied to the work of the company).

This kind of Ph.D. probably works best if you can find an existing link that a university researcher has with a company.

Likes symbolipoint
DrClaude said:
No... Industrial Ph.D.s are granted by universities, but for research mostly done in industry. What happens most often is that one gets two supervisors, one at the university and the other at the company. It is not all that common yet, but in my corner of the world we are getting lots of incentive to do things like this, to bridge academia with industry.They usually are big companies, with a substantial R&D department. Although I know some people working with a smaller company, doing numerical simulations (the expertise on the simulations comes from the university, but the problem is applied to the work of the company).

This kind of Ph.D. probably works best if you can find an existing link that a university researcher has with a company.
Nice description and nice idea.

What is the purpose of physics research outside academia?

The purpose of physics research outside academia is to apply scientific principles and theories to real-world problems and industries, such as technology, engineering, and healthcare. This type of research often focuses on developing new technologies, improving existing systems, and advancing our understanding of the natural world.

What are some examples of industries that benefit from physics research outside academia?

Some examples of industries that benefit from physics research outside academia include aerospace and defense, energy and sustainability, medical technology, and telecommunications. These industries rely on advancements in physics research to improve their products and services, increase efficiency, and stay competitive in the global market.

What are the differences between physics research in academia and outside academia?

The main difference between physics research in academia and outside academia is the focus and goals. In academia, research is often driven by curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge, while outside academia, research is more focused on practical applications and solving real-world problems. Additionally, the funding sources, timelines, and collaborations may differ between the two types of research.

What are the career opportunities for physicists in research outside academia?

There are many career opportunities for physicists in research outside academia, such as working in government research labs, industrial R&D departments, and research institutes. Physicists can also work in consulting firms, start their own companies, or pursue careers in science communication and policy. These positions often offer competitive salaries, benefits, and opportunities for advancement.

How can I get involved in physics research outside academia?

There are several ways to get involved in physics research outside academia, such as internships, co-op programs, and research fellowships. Networking with professionals in the field, attending conferences, and seeking out mentorship are also great ways to learn about and potentially join a research team. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have partnerships with industry and government organizations, providing opportunities for collaboration and research projects.