Placing Balls in Numbered and Unnumbered Boxes: Infinite Possibilities

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, for the first question, there are $(n+1)^n$ ways to place balls in n numbered boxes with a capacity of n balls each, assuming the balls are identical. For the second question, the number of unique sets that can be formed by selecting zero or more of each of n distinct symbols is given by \[R(n)=\sum_{m=1}^{n}mS(n-m+1)=R(n-1)+\sum_{m=1}^{n}S(m)\] where \[S(n)=\sum_{k=1}^{n}k=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\]
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! (Giggle)

I am given this exercise:
If we have a pile of infinite balls and $n$ numbered boxes with a capacity of $n$ balls each one,with how many ways can we place some balls in the boxes?Answer the same question,if the boxes are not numbered.

Could you give me a hint what to do?? :rolleyes: (Blush)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it maybe $n^n$ ?? Or am I wrong? :confused:

evinda said:
Hey! (Giggle)

If we have a pile of infinite balls and $n$ numbered boxes with a capacity of $n$ balls each one,with how many ways can we place some balls in the boxes?Answer the same question,if the boxes are not numbered.

Could you give me a hint what to do?? :rolleyes: (Blush)

evinda said:
Is it maybe $n^n$ ?? Or am I wrong? :confused:

Hi! (Smirk)

How did you get $n^n$?

I like Serena said:
Hi! (Smirk)

How did you get $n^n$?

I thought it,because of the fact that there are $n$ numbered boxes,and at each one we can put $n$ balls..Is it wrong?? :confused: (Thinking)

evinda said:
I thought it,because of the fact that there are $n$ numbered boxes,and at each one we can put $n$ balls..Is it wrong?? :confused: (Thinking)

Let's start with 1 box that can contain $n=3$ balls.
What are the possibilities to fill it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Let's start with 1 box that can contain $n=3$ balls.
What are the possibilities to fill it? (Wondering)

With infinite balls,or not?? :confused:

evinda said:
With infinite balls,or not?? :confused:

Yes. (Wasntme)
And I guess we'll have to assume those infinite balls are identical, or the problem becomes a bit non-sensical otherwise.

I like Serena said:
Yes. (Wasntme)
And I guess we'll have to assume those infinite balls are identical, or the problem becomes a bit non-sensical otherwise.

So,are there infinite ways?? :eek: Or is there an other formula,that expresses it?? (Thinking)(Thinking)

evinda said:
So,are there infinite ways?? :eek: Or is there an other formula,that expresses it?? (Thinking)(Thinking)

If the infinite balls are unique, there would indeed be infinite ways.
That is why I am assuming that they can not be distinguished from each other. (Wink)

So 1 box with capacity 3 could for instance contains 3 balls.
What are the other possibilities?
How many are those?

I like Serena said:
If the infinite balls are unique, there would indeed be infinite ways.
That is why I am assuming that they can not be distinguished from each other. (Wink)

So 1 box with capacity 3 could for instance contains 3 balls.
What are the other possibilities?
How many are those?

So,is it also possible that 1 box contains also $2$, $1$ or $0$ balls?
But how can I find then the number of ways we can place some balls in the boxes?? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So,is it also possible that 1 box contains also $2$, $1$ or $0$ balls?
But how can I find then the number of ways we can place some balls in the boxes?? (Thinking)

Now I am going to assume the box does not have specific places for the balls, but that it just contain a number of balls.

So for 1 box with capacity $n=3$ we have $4$ ways to fill it... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Now I am going to assume the box does not have specific places for the balls, but that the just contain a number of balls.

So for 1 box with capacity $n=3$ we have $4$ ways to fill it... (Thinking)

So,one box with capacity $n$ has $n+1$ ways to be filled.So,in general, $n$ boxes have $(n+1)^n$ ways to be filled,right?? :rolleyes:

evinda said:
So,one box with capacity $n$ has $n+1$ ways to be filled.So,in general, $n$ boxes have $(n+1)^n$ ways to be filled,right?? :rolleyes:

Right! (Cool)

I like Serena said:
Right! (Cool)

Great!Thank you very much! (Clapping)

evinda said:
Hey! (Giggle)

For the second question, I interpret this as being equivalent to asking: "how many unique sets of n objects can be formed by selecting zero or more of each of n distinct symbols".

So, for n=2 we have R(2)=3: aa, ab, bb

and in general, for n>3, we have:
\[R(n)=\sum_{m=1}^{n}mS(n-m+1)=R(n-1)+\sum_{m=1}^{n}S(m)\]

where \[S(n)=\sum_{k=1}^{n}k=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\]

Last edited:

Related to Placing Balls in Numbered and Unnumbered Boxes: Infinite Possibilities

1. What is the purpose of placing balls in boxes?

The purpose of placing balls in boxes is to organize and store them in a specific location. This can help with efficient retrieval and transportation of the balls.

2. How many balls can fit in a box?

The number of balls that can fit in a box depends on the size of the balls and the size of the box. Generally, a box can hold several dozen balls.

3. What materials are used to make the boxes?

Boxes used for storing balls can be made from various materials such as cardboard, plastic, or metal. The material used will depend on the intended use and durability needed.

4. How do you determine the appropriate box size for the balls?

The appropriate box size for balls can be determined by considering the size and quantity of the balls, as well as the available storage space. It is important to choose a box that will provide enough room for the balls to prevent damage during storage and transportation.

5. Can different types of balls be stored in the same box?

Yes, different types of balls can be stored in the same box as long as they are of similar size and shape. However, it is important to consider the weight and fragility of the balls to ensure they do not get damaged when stored together.