Plancherel Theorem (Fourier transform)

In summary: It states that for any two functions ##f,g\in L^2##, the Fourier transform of ##f## is the same as the Fourier transform of ##g##, up to a sign and a factor of 2π. This result is often denoted by the symbol ##\langle f,g\rangle##.
Incand
I'm having a hard time understand this theorem in our book:

The Plancherel Theorem
The Fourier transform, defined originally on ##L^1\cap L^2## extends uniquely to a map from ##L^2## from ##L^2## to itself that satisfies
##\langle \hat f, \hat g \rangle = 2\pi \langle f,g\rangle## and ##||\hat f||^2= 2\pi||f||^2##
for all ##f,g\in L^2##.

I don't really understand the formulation here. Some questions:
What does it mean "extends uniquely" here?
When am I allowed to use the theorem? Can I use the formula for every ##L^2## function?
Is the Fourier transform of an ##L^2## function always an ##L^2## function as well (even if the function is both in ##L^1## and ##L^2##)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Extends uniquely means that there is only one Fourier transform image for each function in the extension.

From Wikipedia
A more precise formulation is that if a function is in both L1(R) and L2(R), then its Fourier transform is in L2(R), and the Fourier transform map is an isometry with respect to the L2 norm. This implies that the Fourier transform map restricted to L1(R) ∩ L2(R) has a unique extension to a linear isometric map L2(R) → L2(R). This isometry is actually a unitary map. In effect, this makes it possible to speak of Fourier transforms of quadratically integrable functions.
--------------------------------------
Second and third questions - answer is yes for both.

Likes Incand
Incand said:
Can I use the formula for every ##L^2## function?

What do you mean with "the formula"?

mathman said:
Extends uniquely means that there is only one Fourier transform image for each function in the extension.

From Wikipedia
A more precise formulation is that if a function is in both L1(R) and L2(R), then its Fourier transform is in L2(R), and the Fourier transform map is an isometry with respect to the L2 norm. This implies that the Fourier transform map restricted to L1(R) ∩ L2(R) has a unique extension to a linear isometric map L2(R) → L2(R). This isometry is actually a unitary map. In effect, this makes it possible to speak of Fourier transforms of quadratically integrable functions.
--------------------------------------
Second and third questions - answer is yes for both.
Thanks! Especially thanks for the link to the article about unitary operators. I understand it a bit better now.

micromass said:
What do you mean with "the formula"?
I meant the ##\langle \hat f, \hat g \rangle = 2\pi \langle f,g\rangle## and ##||\hat f||^2= 2\pi||f||^2## formula. I.e. my question was if I have two ##L^2## functions and I know the Fourier transform of these is the "formula" always true. Which I believe mathman answered was true.

Incand said:
Thanks! Especially thanks for the link to the article about unitary operators. I understand it a bit better now.I meant the ##\langle \hat f, \hat g \rangle = 2\pi \langle f,g\rangle## and ##||\hat f||^2= 2\pi||f||^2## formula. I.e. my question was if I have two ##L^2## functions and I know the Fourier transform of these is the "formula" always true. Which I believe mathman answered was true.
It is a standard theorem in Fourier analysis (Plancherel or Parseval).

Likes Incand

1. What is the Plancherel Theorem?

The Plancherel Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the Fourier transform of a function to its original function. It states that the integral of the squared magnitude of the Fourier transform of a function is equal to the integral of the squared magnitude of the original function. In other words, it describes the relationship between a function and its Fourier transform.

2. How is the Plancherel Theorem used in mathematics?

The Plancherel Theorem is used in various areas of mathematics, including signal processing, image analysis, and quantum mechanics. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals and functions in the frequency domain, making it a powerful tool in many mathematical applications.

3. What is the difference between the Plancherel Theorem and the Fourier Transform?

The Plancherel Theorem is a mathematical theorem that describes the relationship between a function and its Fourier transform. The Fourier Transform, on the other hand, is a mathematical operation that transforms a function from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain. The Plancherel Theorem is a property of the Fourier Transform.

4. Is the Plancherel Theorem reversible?

Yes, the Plancherel Theorem is reversible. This means that if the integral of the squared magnitude of a function and its Fourier transform are equal, then the function and its Fourier transform are related in a one-to-one manner. This allows for the transformation of a function back and forth between the time/spatial domain and the frequency domain.

5. What are the practical applications of the Plancherel Theorem?

The Plancherel Theorem has numerous practical applications, including signal processing, data compression, image analysis, and quantum mechanics. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals and functions in the frequency domain, making it a valuable tool in many fields of science and engineering.