Planck time at the speed of light

In summary, the smallest unit of time is the Planck time, which is a number that arises from dimensional analysis and does not necessarily have specific physical significance.
Adgorn
I know that if an object moves at the speed of light, from its persepctive time will stop to a halt. However the smallest unit of time should be the plank time. So my question is, will the object (say a photon) experience throughout its life a single still "frame", or will it experience 5.39121e-44 seconds?

Science news on Phys.org
I had the same thought some time back and I was reminded here that Plank time / Plank length are numbers that arise from dimensional analysis, and they do not necessarily have specific physical significance.

Unless I misunderstood what I read at the time - there is no theory that says the smallest unit of time is the Plank time or that the smallest distance is the Plank length.

Adgorn said:
I know that if an object moves at the speed of light, from its persepctive time will stop to a halt.

No, it's not true at all, because:
1. objects with mass cannot move at the speed of light
2. only massless objects can move at the speed of light and for that objects there is no "perspective", there is no reference frame connected with them (that would violate the fact that light moves at c in all FORs) - and with that, you can't say that time will stop for them. Probably you've read that in some pop-sci book, you shoud totally forget about it :)
So, your question is based on totally wrong assumptions, so there is no answer to it.

Likes Clever Penguin and Dale
Adgorn said:
if an object moves at the speed of light, from its persepctive time will stop to a halt.
However the smallest unit of time should be the plank time.
Both of those statements are wrong, although these misunderstandings are so pervasive that we have FAQ and Insights articles explaining why they're wrong.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rest-frame-of-a-photon.511170/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/hand-wavy-discussion-planck-length/ (although this discusses the Planck length, similar considerations apply to the Planck time)
This thread is closed because it is completely based on false premises.

Likes weirdoguy

1. What is Planck time at the speed of light?

Planck time at the speed of light refers to the smallest unit of time that can be measured, which is approximately 5.39 x 10^-44 seconds. It is named after physicist Max Planck and is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics.

2. How does Planck time relate to the speed of light?

Planck time is derived from the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is the time it takes for light to travel a distance of one Planck length, which is the smallest unit of length that can be measured.

3. Why is Planck time important in physics?

Planck time is important because it is the smallest unit of time that is meaningful in the context of quantum mechanics. It is used to understand the behavior of particles at the smallest scales and to study the origins of the universe.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light at Planck time?

No, according to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is a fundamental concept in physics and it applies to all scales, including Planck time.

5. How is Planck time measured?

Planck time cannot be directly measured with current technology, as it is too small to be detected. Instead, it is a theoretical concept that is used in equations and calculations in quantum mechanics and cosmology.