Plane lattice proof of Leibniz series

In summary, the conversation was about a proof of Leibniz' series for pi and a question regarding the appearance of a "-1" in the proof. The proof utilized a theorem about the number of ways to express an integer as the sum of squares of two integers. The main idea was to use this theorem to determine the number of unit squares within a circle of radius r. The question was regarding the "-1" in the formula (1/4)(f(r) - 1) and it was later realized that it was necessary to account for the point (0,0) in the solution.
qedetc
(nevermind, answered my own question after spending the time to type this up!)

Hi,

I was flipping through Hilbert's Geometry and the Imagination, and in it, he includes a proof of Leibniz' series ( pi/4 = 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ... ) which is carried out by estimating the area of a circle at the origin using unit squares. I have a simple question about the appearance of a single " - 1" in the proof, but unfortunately need to describe half of the proof to ask about it. I assume I'm overlooking something extremely easy, but I just haven't been able to see why it's there.

The proof utilizes a theorem regarding the number of ways to express an integer n as the sum of squares of two integers: that this number is 4 times the quantity ( number of factors of n which are congruent to 1 mod 4 minus the number of factors of n which are congruent to 3 mod 4). In symbols,
S_n = | {(a,b) : a^2 + b^2 = n } | = 4 * (|{ d : d divides n and d = 1 mod 4 }| - |{ d : d divides n and d = 3 mod 4 }|)
where S_n is the number of ways to express n as the sum of two squares, and || is for the size of the set.

The main idea is to use this theorem to determine the number of unit squares whose bottom left corner is contained inside a circle of radius r; we'll call this number f(r). Now, Hilbert says that according to the above theorem, we can get (1/4)(f(r) - 1) by adding up the differences between the number of factors of the form 4k+1 and the number of factors of the form 4k+3 for all of the n <= r^2.

My question is regarding this "-1" in the "(1/4)(f(r) - 1)". Since you have a point inside/on the circle for each pair of integers (x,y) satisfying x^2 + y^2 <= r^2, it seems that f(r) should be the sum of the S_n for each integer n less than or equal to r^2. Then f(r) - 1 would be the sum over all of the S_n, minus 1. Further, (1/4)(f(r) - 1) would be the sum over all of the S_n, minus 1, all divided by 4; that is, -(1/4) + the sum of the differences between the number of factors of the form 4k+1 and the number of factors of the form 4k+3 for each n. So, it looks to me like that -1 doesn't fit (because it causes f(r) to differ from the sum Hilbert claims by -(1/4). I don't see where it came from, but I imagine I'm overlooking something incredibly simple.Thanksedit: Well, after typing this out, I reread the section again and noticed I had been completely ignoring that he starts discussing only the positive n's. Subtracting the 1 then takes care of the (0,0) solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi qedetc! :smile:

(try using the X2and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
qedetc said:
(nevermind, answered my own question after spending the time to type this up!)

A lot of people do that! :wink:

Welcome to PF anyway! :smile:

1. What is the Leibniz series?

The Leibniz series, also known as the Gregory-Leibniz series, is an infinite series that represents the value of pi. It was first discovered by mathematician James Gregory in the 17th century and later proved by Gottfried Leibniz in the 18th century.

2. What is the plane lattice proof of the Leibniz series?

The plane lattice proof of the Leibniz series is a geometric method used to prove the infinite series representation of pi. It involves placing a square lattice between the x-axis and the curve of a quarter circle, and then calculating the area under the curve using the lattice points. This method was first published by mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

3. How does the plane lattice proof work?

The plane lattice proof works by dividing the quarter circle into smaller and smaller squares using the lattice points. The sum of the areas of these squares can be calculated using the formula for the area of a square. As the number of squares increases, the sum approaches the area under the curve, which is equal to pi/4. This provides a visual representation of the Leibniz series and proves its validity.

4. Why is the plane lattice proof important?

The plane lattice proof is important because it provides a unique and intuitive way to understand the value of pi and the Leibniz series. It also serves as a visual representation of a mathematical concept, which can help students better understand and remember the series. Additionally, this proof has historical significance as it was one of the first methods used to prove the infinite series representation of pi.

5. What are the applications of the plane lattice proof?

The plane lattice proof has applications in mathematics and education. It can be used to teach students about pi, infinite series, and geometric concepts. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics, where a precise understanding of pi is necessary for calculations and design. Additionally, this proof has inspired further research and developments in the field of mathematics.