Plasmoid Contamination in a Dense Plasma Focus

In summary, this question is difficult to answer because it depends on the specific device and the impurities that are being used.
Warpspeed13
Ok I'm posting this here as well since It falls under both engineering and high energy physics, since I haven't gotten an answer on the high energy physics thread. So I've been researching Dense Plasma Focus devices for a while now and a question just occurred to me. Since the fill gass such as deuterium is being ionized and then compressed and fused in the Plasmoid, wouldn't some of the cathode material also be ionized and the trapped in the Plasmoid polluting it? If this is the case what equations would you use to calculate the number of cathod material atoms trapped in the Plasmoid in moles?

See Dense Plasma Focus (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dense_plasma_focus)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, one of the problems with electrostatic plasma guns is that they tend to generate tons of impurities that degrade confinement. Unfortunately, calculating the impurity concentrations isn't easy. Experimentally, you can look at the erosion of the electrodes over numerous discharges to get an idea of how much material is ejected per shot. But not all of the material is getting confined by the plasmoid. A separate calculation is needed to determine the concentrations of the impurities in the plasmoid. This calculation is pretty complex, and would be worthy multiple scientific publications.

Cool thank you very much, your answer is really helpful. I had no idea it would be that complex. Do you know where I could find any articles / doctoral thesis's on this subject?

Try searching "Plasma-Material Interactions (PMI)" and "Impurity Transport." If you have access to academic journals then use engineering village (or a similar database). If not than use google or google scholar.

As its name suggest PMI is the discipline that studies the interaction between plasmas and material surfaces. Among other things, it attempts to understand that rate at which that the plasma erodes the material surface.

Impurity transport studies the confinement of impurity ions in the plasma. It is a huge field, but most of the work to-date has been geared towards tokamaks and stellarators. I doubt that you will find anything specific to the dense plasma focus. But it is a starting point.

Thank you.

1. What is a dense plasma focus (DPF)?

A dense plasma focus is a device used to create a high-density plasma by compressing and heating a gas using electromagnetic forces. It is often used in fusion research and can also generate intense bursts of X-rays.

2. What is plasmoid contamination in a DPF?

Plasmoid contamination in a DPF is a phenomenon where small, dense plasmoids (or plasma blobs) are formed during the operation of the device. These plasmoids can interfere with the stability and efficiency of the plasma focus, and can also contaminate the plasma with impurities.

3. What causes plasmoid contamination in a DPF?

The exact cause of plasmoid contamination in a DPF is not fully understood. However, it is believed to be a result of instabilities in the plasma focus, such as the presence of magnetic fields and non-uniformities in the gas density.

4. How does plasmoid contamination affect DPF performance?

Plasmoid contamination can have negative effects on the performance of a DPF. It can cause disruptions in the plasma focus, leading to decreased efficiency and stability. It can also introduce impurities into the plasma, which can affect the quality of experimental results and potentially damage the device.

5. How can plasmoid contamination in a DPF be minimized?

There are several techniques that can be used to minimize plasmoid contamination in a DPF. These include optimizing the gas pressure and composition, using magnetic fields to control the plasma and reduce instabilities, and improving the design of the device to reduce non-uniformities in the plasma. Further research is needed to fully understand and mitigate plasmoid contamination in DPFs.