Please can you help me transpose this problem?

• Thread starter acat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transpose
In summary, the equation gives the height of a building if you know the length of the building, the height of the building, and the angle at which you are measuring the height.
acat
7.0588 = sin(10.4*∏*t)

how do i transpose this to solve the equation finding a value for t?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
invsin(7.0588) gives (10.4*∏*t)

invsin(7.0588) in my casio gives a math error

your casio is ok because the sin of ANY angle must not be greater than 1.

hmmm here is the full problem, i thought i could solve it with the first question. could you help me more here grzz?

X=a*Sin(omega*t)

where x = 0.6m
a = 0.085m
omega = 10.4*Pi

0.6=0.085*Sin(10.4*Pi*t)

any ideas mate?

Mod note: moved to Homework forums.

acat, please make your own attempts to solve the problem. We will not solve it for you.

acat said:
hmmm here is the full problem, i thought i could solve it with the first question.
Actually, no, what you posted wasn't the full problem. Why is x = 0.6 m? Why is a = 0.085 m? What situation does this equation model? You need to post the entire word problem. It's possible you plugged in the wrong values for the variables.

micromass i wouldn't dream of expecting others to finish homework for me. I am just struggeling with this 1 step of my problem and its really bugging me. I am simply asking for help with this 1 step so id feel confident to go off on my own and finish my problem.

Anyhow, ill post the problem up later on. thanks

acat said:
micromass i wouldn't dream of expecting others to finish homework for me. I am just struggeling with this 1 step of my problem and its really bugging me. I am simply asking for help with this 1 step so id feel confident to go off on my own and finish my problem.

Anyhow, ill post the problem up later on. thanks

The equation you wrote is easy to deal with: it has NO (real) solutions. That is because you are asking to have a value of "sine" that is > 1, and that cannot happen for any real angle.

However, it does have solutions in the complex plane; one is t = 0.0480769 - 0.080874I, where I = sqrt(-1).

RGV

1. What does it mean to "transpose" a problem?

Transposing a problem means changing the form or structure of a problem without changing its meaning. This can be helpful when solving mathematical equations or analyzing data.

2. Why would I need to transpose a problem?

Transposing a problem can make it easier to solve or understand. It can also help identify patterns or relationships that may not have been apparent in the original form.

3. How do I transpose a problem?

The process of transposing a problem will vary depending on the type of problem. In general, you will need to rearrange the elements of the problem in a different order or manipulate the variables to find a new solution.

4. Can you give an example of transposing a problem?

Sure, for example, if you have the equation y = 2x + 4, you can transpose it to solve for x instead of y by subtracting 4 from both sides and then dividing by 2. The transposed equation would be x = (y-4)/2.

5. Are there any tips for transposing problems?

One tip is to always check your work after transposing a problem to make sure the solution is still valid. It can also be helpful to practice with simpler problems before tackling more complex ones.