Please clear my electromagnetism doubt about units

In summary, the strength of a shell and the strength of current flowing through its boundary are equivalent in certain units, such as electromagnetic units. However, in other units, such as SI and electrostatic units, this equivalence does not hold true. This is due to the differences in equations used in different unit systems.
faheemahmed6000
It is a well known fact that, in electromagnetic units, strength of a shell and strength of current flowing through its boundary are same. See here.

\begin{equation}
\begin{matrix}
\text{i.e.}\: i \text{(biot)} = \phi \text{(biot) }
\end{matrix}
\tag{1}
\end{equation}

(a) While converting to SI:

\begin{equation}
\begin{matrix}
i\: \text{biot} = i\: (10 \text{Amp}) = 10i\: \text{Amp} = I \text{Amp}\\
\text{where biot} = 10 \text{Amp and}\: 10i = I
\tag{a}
\end{matrix}
\end{equation}
Also:
\begin{equation}
\begin{matrix}
\phi\: \text{biot} = \phi\: (10 \text{Amp}) = 10\phi\: \text{Amp} = \Phi \text{Amp}\\
\text{where biot} = 10 \text{Amp and}\: 10\phi = \Phi
\tag{b}
\end{matrix}
\end{equation}

Therefore in SI (by comparing with equation (1)):

##I## (Amp) = ##\Phi## (Amp)

(b) While converting to electrodynamic units:
\begin{equation}
\begin{matrix}
i\: \text{biot} = i\: (\sqrt{2}\: \text{ed}) = \sqrt{2}i\: \text{ed} = j\: \text{ed}\\
\text{where biot} = \sqrt{2}\: \text{ed and}\: \sqrt{2}\: i = j
\tag{c}
\end{matrix}
\end{equation}
Also:
\begin{equation}
\begin{matrix}
\phi\: \text{biot} = \phi\: (\sqrt{2}\: \text{ed}) = \sqrt{2}\phi\: \text{ed} = \Phi_j\: \text{ed}\\
\text{where biot} = \sqrt{2}\: \text{ed and}\: \sqrt{2}\: \phi = \Phi_j
\tag{d}
\end{matrix}
\end{equation}

Therefore in electrodynamic (by comparing with equation (1)):

##j## (ed) = ##\Phi_j## (ed)

(c) While converting to electrostatic units:

\begin{equation}
\begin{matrix}
i\: \text{biot} = i\: (3\times10^{10}\: \text{StatAmp}) = 3\times10^{10}i\: \text{StatAmp} = k\: \text{StatAmp}\\
\text{where biot} = 3\times10^{10}\: \text{StatAmp and}\: 3\times10^{10}\: i = k
\tag{e}
\end{matrix}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
\begin{matrix}
\phi\: \text{biot} = \phi\: (3\times10^{10}\: \text{StatAmp}) = 3\times10^{10}\phi\: \text{StatAmp} = \Phi_k\: \text{StatAmp}\\
\text{where biot} = 3\times10^{10}\: \text{StatAmp and}\: 3\times10^{10}\: \phi = \Phi_k
\tag{f}
\end{matrix}
\end{equation}

Therefore in electrostatic units (by comparing with equation (1)):

##k## (StatAmp) = ##\Phi_k## (StatAmp)

i.e. in all units, strength of the shell and strength of current flowing through its boundary are same.

Question 1: Am I correct?

if yes

Question 2: Then why is it said that "strength of the shell and strength of current flowing through its boundary are same only in certain units like electromagnetic units"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, 1 biot is not really equal to 10 A. They are equivalent in some equations but not in other equations. The issue is that Maxwell's equations and the other equations of electromagnetism are different when written in different units. So the straight substitution that you are trying to do is not correct.

1 biot^2 equals 1 dyne in emu, but 1 A^2 does not equal 1 N in SI

Related to Please clear my electromagnetism doubt about units

1. What are the basic units used in electromagnetism?

The basic units used in electromagnetism are the ampere (A) for electric current, the volt (V) for electric potential, the ohm (Ω) for electric resistance, the henry (H) for inductance, and the farad (F) for capacitance.

2. How are the units for electric field and magnetic field related?

The units for electric field (V/m) and magnetic field (T) are related by the speed of light (c) in vacuum, which is approximately 3x10^8 m/s. The relationship is given by the equation B = E/c.

3. What is the unit for electric charge?

The unit for electric charge is the coulomb (C). It is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a point in a conductor in one second when the current is one ampere.

4. How do you convert from one unit to another in electromagnetism?

In order to convert from one unit to another in electromagnetism, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from volts to joules, you can use the conversion factor 1 V = 1 J/C. You can also use dimensional analysis to convert between units.

5. Are there any special units used in electromagnetism?

Yes, there are a few special units used in electromagnetism, such as the tesla (T) for magnetic flux density, the weber (Wb) for magnetic flux, and the siemens (S) for electrical conductance.