Points on a rigid body always have the same angular speed?

In summary: A rigid body has a center of rotation and the angular velocity of a point relative to that center is meaningful. A general definition for a point does not have a center of rotation and the angular velocity of a point relative to that point does not have any meaning.
Happiness
Consider a circle rotating about a point X on its circumference at ##\omega = 2## rad/s. That means all points on and in the circle rotate at the same ##\omega = 2## rad/s.

IMG_5346.JPG

What are the angular velocities of various different points, say points A, B and C, with respect to the centre O of the circle? At first thought, different points with the same ##\omega## with respect to point X should probably have different ##\omega##'s (from one another) with respect to a different point O, because if those points are rotating in sync about point X, they may not necessarily be rotating in sync about point O. But to my surprise, they do have the same ##\omega## and worse, their ##\omega## is still ##2## rad/s!

Why so? Any mathematical proof or intuitive explanations?

Some notes on my calculations:
To calculate the ##\omega## of a point A relative to point O, I take the velocity of A relative to that of O divided by the distance between A and O.
I also calculated the ##\omega##'s of points A, B and C relative to point D. They are equal to ##2## rad/s too!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
I also calculated the w's of points A, B and C relative to point D. They are equal to 2 rad/s too!
And that isn't a coincidence.

I guess it may seem counterintuitive because anglular velocity doesn't behave the same as linear velocity. Distance from point of rotation must be taken into account in angular, as you noted.

Angular velocity is a characteristic of rigid body's motion. It does not make sense to speak about angular velocity of an individual point of the rigid body

A.T. said:
ou can define the angular velocity of any point relative to some other point:
No you cannot. Because a trajectory of the point can be essentially spatial curve. By the same reason your definition does almost nothing with angular velocity of the rigid body.

UPD

zwierz said:
... your definition does almost nothing with angular velocity of the rigid body.
Yes, this general definition for a point is different from the definition for a rigid body.

Related to Points on a rigid body always have the same angular speed?

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size, and its particles remain at a fixed distance from each other, even when subjected to external forces. Examples of rigid bodies include a solid metal bar or a spinning top.

2. How is angular speed defined?

Angular speed is the rate of change of angular displacement of a rotating body. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

3. Why do points on a rigid body always have the same angular speed?

This is due to the fact that a rigid body rotates as a whole, meaning that all points on the body rotate at the same rate. This is because the particles in a rigid body are connected by rigid bonds, and therefore cannot move independently of each other.

4. How is angular speed related to linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are related by the equation v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the distance from the point to the axis of rotation. This means that the linear speed of a point on a rigid body is directly proportional to its distance from the axis of rotation.

5. Can angular speed change over time?

Yes, angular speed can change over time if the body is subjected to an external torque. This torque will cause the angular speed to either increase or decrease, depending on its direction and magnitude. However, as long as the body remains rigid, all points on the body will still have the same angular speed at any given moment.