Polarity of magnetic field in a conducting wire

In summary: You may need to consult a diagram for a better understanding.In summary, when current flows through a copper wire, a circular magnetic field is produced with no particular polarity. An electromagnet, on the other hand, has a polarized magnetic field due to its coil and iron core. To remember the direction of the magnetic field, a useful mnemonic is to imagine standing on one of the wires of the coil and using the N and S poles as a guide. This can be helpful in understanding the direction of the field, but a basic understanding of magnetic fields is still necessary.
acrossingtwo
When current flows through a copper wire, for example, a magnetic field is produced. What is the polarity of that field? I've seen an example with special relativity and how a positive charge would be deflected. Does that mean the field is negative to a stationary object? Every video I watch says that a wire with current deflects a magnetic object. So then why does an electromagnet attract magnetic objects?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to PF :smile:

acrossingtwo said:
When current flows through a copper wire, for example, a magnetic field is produced. What is the polarity of that field?

no idea what videos you were looking at but a magnetic field around a wire is circular so there is no particular polarity
Googling would have given you lots of images of that eg ...

View attachment 220505

View attachment 220506and a zillion more here /...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...10444162&selectedindex=9&mode=overlay&first=1

so you see asking for a polarity isn't relevant :wink:
acrossingtwo said:
Every video I watch says that a wire with current deflects a magnetic object.

show us an example

acrossingtwo said:
So then why does an electromagnet attract magnetic objects?

A electromagnet is a different story to a straight wire carrying a current. An electromagnet is a coil of wire that may or nay not be wound around an iron core, and in that case the coil generates a polarised magnetic field in/around the coil and core with a N and S pole

have a read of this www site about electromagnets and their polarity

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/electromagnets.html

Dave

Last edited:
I'm not a great fan of tricks for solving Physics problems, but since the direction of magnetic and electric fields is purely arbitrary, I do need a mnemonic to help me remember what was decided. Left and right hand rules never worked for me, because I needed another rule to remind me when to use L and when R!

For currents & magnetic fields my Physics teacher gave me a useful mnemonic, which works so long as your language uses N and S for magnetic poles.
magnetic_field.png

This is the face/end view of a coil or solenoid. If you want the field around a wire, just imagine yourself standing on one of the wires of the coil.
Of course, you do need to have a basic understanding of how these fields work in the first place. This is just to give you the sense of the field.

Attachments

• magnetic_field.png
    magnetic_field.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 453

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a conducting wire?

The magnetic field in a conducting wire is always perpendicular to the direction of the flow of electric current.

2. Does the polarity of the magnetic field in a conducting wire change?

Yes, the polarity of the magnetic field in a conducting wire can change depending on the direction of the electric current. If the current flows in one direction, the polarity of the magnetic field will be in one direction, and if the current flows in the opposite direction, the polarity of the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction.

3. How does the polarity of the magnetic field affect the strength of the field?

The polarity of the magnetic field does not affect the strength of the field. The strength of the magnetic field is determined by the magnitude of the electric current flowing through the wire.

4. Can the polarity of the magnetic field be controlled in a conducting wire?

Yes, the polarity of the magnetic field in a conducting wire can be controlled by changing the direction of the electric current flowing through the wire. This can be done by using a switch or by changing the direction of the power source.

5. How does the polarity of the magnetic field in a conducting wire impact its interaction with other magnetic fields?

The polarity of the magnetic field in a conducting wire determines the direction of the force it experiences when interacting with other magnetic fields. If the polarity is the same, the wires will repel each other, and if the polarity is opposite, they will attract each other.