Polarization and magnetic field

In summary: The magnetic field of the light remains perpendicular to the electric field, and is affected by the interaction with electric dipoles in the water. The exact behavior of the magnetic field can be calculated using Fresnel's equations.
polarizer
Hi all,
( my thought process is confusing me and giving me a headache, so I figured I post my question here...:smile: )

my general question is what happens to the magnetic field of the light after light has been polarized? Does it matter how light has been polarized - going through 'filter' ( filter type/material matters?), or by reflection, etc.?

1. For example, if there is white un-polarized light going through a linear polarizing filter, say horizontally oriented, only horizontal components of the light's electric field will go through, and we get horizontally polarized light as a result...i.e. light's electric field has only one orientation - horizontal. How is magnetic field affected by this passage through the filter? What is the resulting light's magnetic field, and how is it oriented?
Since magnetic field is perpendicular to the electric field, did magnetic field:
- just go through the filter unaffected (i.e same magnitude and direction as before filter)
- only horizontal components of the magnetic field got through ( same as E field...which would imply that electric and magnetic fields are co-planar ?)
- it's still 90 deg to the E field, but appropriately scaled to the strength of the horizontally oriented E field?
- or something else?

2. Take same white unpolarized light, and let's look at it from the prospective of polarization by reflection, say air-water interface, and light's incident angle being equal to Brewster's angle.
What happens to the magnetic field of the reflected (s-polarized) light? E field is polarized because of the interaction with electric dipoles in the water... however dipoles don't radiate energy in direction of the dipole moment...So what happens to the magnetic field of the reflected light? Is it there, still at 90deg from E field or...? Transmitted ( p-polarized) light is partially polarized, but still the same question about it's magnetic field...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the light is polarized, not the individual electric and magnetic fields, they maintain their relationship.

Chariatanza: light does not have mass and the rest of your post is "not even wrong".

polarizer said:
Hi all,
( my thought process is confusing me and giving me a headache, so I figured I post my question here...:smile: )

my general question is what happens to the magnetic field of the light after light has been polarized? Does it matter how light has been polarized - going through 'filter' ( filter type/material matters?), or by reflection, etc.?

1. For example, if there is white un-polarized light going through a linear polarizing filter, say horizontally oriented, only horizontal components of the light's electric field will go through, and we get horizontally polarized light as a result...i.e. light's electric field has only one orientation - horizontal. How is magnetic field affected by this passage through the filter? What is the resulting light's magnetic field, and how is it oriented?
Since magnetic field is perpendicular to the electric field, did magnetic field:
- just go through the filter unaffected (i.e same magnitude and direction as before filter)
- only horizontal components of the magnetic field got through ( same as E field...which would imply that electric and magnetic fields are co-planar ?)
- it's still 90 deg to the E field, but appropriately scaled to the strength of the horizontally oriented E field?
- or something else?

2. Take same white unpolarized light, and let's look at it from the prospective of polarization by reflection, say air-water interface, and light's incident angle being equal to Brewster's angle.
What happens to the magnetic field of the reflected (s-polarized) light? E field is polarized because of the interaction with electric dipoles in the water... however dipoles don't radiate energy in direction of the dipole moment...So what happens to the magnetic field of the reflected light? Is it there, still at 90deg from E field or...? Transmitted ( p-polarized) light is partially polarized, but still the same question about it's magnetic field...

Thanks!

i don't know about your first question , i am also interested to know

but for your 2nd question, i think you have to solve fresnel's equation

there is a set of boundary conditions that relate the E and B fields, for interfaces like air-water.

Related to Polarization and magnetic field

1. What is polarization and how does it occur?

Polarization is the phenomenon where the electric field of a light wave oscillates in a single plane. This can occur naturally when light is reflected or scattered off of surfaces, or it can be induced by passing light through certain materials, such as polarizing filters.

2. How does a magnetic field affect polarization?

A magnetic field can change the orientation of the electric field of a light wave, causing it to become polarized in a different direction. This is known as the Faraday effect and is often used in devices such as optical isolators.

3. Can polarization and magnetic field be measured?

Yes, both polarization and magnetic field can be measured using various instruments. Polarimeters are used to measure the degree and direction of polarization, while magnetometers are used to measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields.

4. What is the relationship between polarization and magnetic field in electromagnetic waves?

In an electromagnetic wave, the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation. This means that changes in the electric field can induce changes in the magnetic field, and vice versa.

5. How do polarization and magnetic field play a role in various technologies?

Polarization and magnetic field have a wide range of applications in technologies such as telecommunications, medical imaging, and navigation systems. They are also important in understanding the behavior of light in materials and in the study of astronomy and geophysics.