Polygon Collision calculate velocity and angular velocity

In summary: Keep in mind that this method assumes an ideal, frictionless collision and may not be applicable for real-world scenarios. In summary, to calculate the changes in angular velocity and velocity of two colliding polygons, you need to consider the momentum and energy conservation equations.
aircrack
Hello,

I am trying to simulate collisions between polygons with opengl.
The weight, velocity (as a 2d vector), the angular velocity and the collisionpoint of the colliding polygons are provided.
How can I calculate how the angular velocity and the velocity are changed?

I do know how i could calculate the new velocities in 1d using the momentum:
2f9b6fcd36cd25f6e4f563a7c08e9f54.png

e3b6a72306f7ccbfc078034ce8e833d0.png

In a 2d decentralized collision, disregarding the angular velocity (e.g. using two circles), it would be almost the same, because you can split the velocities in vectors, but i am unsure how to calculate everything including the angular velocity.

Thank you for your help :)

Im sorry if my english is incomprehensible, I am german. ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the new velocities of two colliding polygons, you need to consider the momentum and energy conservation equations. The momentum conservation equation states that the total momentum before and after collision should be conserved. This means that the sum of the momenta (mass x velocity) of each polygon should remain unchanged. For example, if two polygon masses are m1 and m2, and their velocities before collision are v1 and v2, then the velocities after the collision should be v1' and v2' such that m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'. You also have to consider the angular velocities of the two polygons before and after collision. The angular velocity of a polygon is given by its moment of inertia multiplied by its angular acceleration. Thus, for two polygons with moments of inertia I1 and I2 and angular accelerations a1 and a2, the angular velocities before and after collision need to satisfy the following condition: I1a1 + I2a2 = I1a1' + I2a2'. Finally, you will need to incorporate the energy conservation equation in your calculations. The energy conservation equation states that the total energy before and after collision should be the same. This means that the sum of the kinetic energies of the two polygons before and after collision should be equal. The kinetic energy of a polygon is given by its mass multiplied by half of its velocity squared. Thus, for two polygons with masses m1 and m2, and velocities v1 and v2 before collision, the velocities after collision should satisfy the following condition: (m1*(v1^2)/2) + (m2*(v2^2)/2) = (m1*(v1'^2)/2) + (m2*(v2'^2)/2). By combining all of the above equations, you can calculate the new velocities of the two polygons after collision.

1. What is Polygon Collision?

Polygon Collision refers to the process of determining whether two or more polygon-shaped objects have collided with one another in a given space. This is commonly used in video game development, physics simulations, and other areas of study that involve the interaction of multiple objects.

2. How is velocity calculated in Polygon Collision?

In order to calculate the velocity of a polygon after a collision, the mass, momentum, and direction of each object must be taken into account. This is typically done using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, along with various mathematical formulas and algorithms.

3. What is angular velocity in relation to Polygon Collision?

Angular velocity refers to the rate at which an object is rotating or spinning around a fixed point. In the context of polygon collision, this is important because it affects the direction and force of the collision, and can impact the resulting velocities and movements of the objects involved.

4. How is angular velocity calculated in Polygon Collision?

Similar to calculating linear velocity, angular velocity can be determined using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, along with appropriate mathematical formulas and algorithms. The shape and orientation of the polygons also play a role in the calculation of angular velocity.

5. What are some challenges in calculating velocity and angular velocity in Polygon Collision?

One of the main challenges in calculating velocity and angular velocity in polygon collision is determining the initial conditions and parameters of the objects involved, as well as accounting for any external forces or factors that may affect the collision. Additionally, the complexity of the polygons and their movements can also make the calculations more difficult and time-consuming.