Polygon sine functions? what is this?

In summary, polygon sine functions are mathematical functions that use polygons as the base shape instead of circles. They are used to model periodic behavior in various fields and can be used to graph real-world phenomena. To graph a polygon sine function, the period and amplitude must be determined and points must be plotted on the x-axis using the sine function. Polygon sine functions have special properties such as creating visually appealing patterns and exhibiting symmetries.
Mathguy688
Hi!

I was wondering how I could find the equations for the bottom two functions. I understand that the amplitude is not constant like that in the circular sine function--could someone please help me out?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Periodic functions for analysis.gif
    Periodic functions for analysis.gif
    290.3 KB · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
Both of them can be represented as Fourier series. Sine is special case where there is only one term in the series.

1. What exactly are polygon sine functions?

Polygon sine functions are mathematical functions that involve both polygons and sine functions. They are used to model periodic behavior in various systems and have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. How are polygon sine functions different from regular sine functions?

Polygon sine functions differ from regular sine functions in that they use a polygon as the base shape instead of a circle. This results in a more complex and varied shape for the function graph.

3. Can polygon sine functions be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, polygon sine functions can be used to model real-world phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a spring, or the sound waves produced by a musical instrument. They can also be used to create 3D graphics for video games and animations.

4. How do you graph a polygon sine function?

To graph a polygon sine function, you need to first determine the period and amplitude of the function. Then, plot points on the x-axis at regular intervals of the period and use the sine function to calculate the corresponding y-values. Finally, connect the points to create a smooth curve.

5. Are there any special properties of polygon sine functions?

Yes, polygon sine functions have several interesting properties. For example, they can be used to create complex and visually appealing patterns by varying the number of sides in the polygon and the frequency of the sine function. They also exhibit symmetries and can be used to create tessellations.