What are Vieta's Formulas in Polynomial Functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses three possible ways to find the roots of a polynomial equation, including cheating, using Vieta's formulas, and expanding an equation. The Vieta formulas are equations that relate the roots to the coefficients of the equation.
mathland
I say the answer is A.

FB_IMG_1611815549152.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Did you check it? Did the roots come out? (They don't.)

There are three ways to do this one.
1) Cheat and find the roots of all your possible answers.

2) Use the Vieta formulas.

3) Write out \(\displaystyle (x - 1) \left ( x - \dfrac{1}{ \alpha } \right ) = 0\) and expand.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Did you check it? Did the roots come out? (They don't.)

There are three ways to do this one.
1) Cheat and find the roots of all your possible answers.

2) Use the Vieta formulas.

3) Write out \(\displaystyle (x - 1) \left ( x - \dfrac{1}{ \alpha } \right ) = 0\) and expand.

-Dan

No. I did not check it. What is the Vieta formulas?

Beer soaked ramblings follow.
mathland said:
Translation: I don't know man. That sounds like a lot of work!

mathland said:

Vieta's formulas are equations that connect some expressions of the roots of a polynomial equation to its coefficients. (See e.g. wikipedia)

Theia said:
Vieta's formulas are equations that connect some expressions of the roots of a polynomial equation to its coefficients. (See e.g. wikipedia)

I'll need to look that up.

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical function that is defined by a polynomial, which is an expression consisting of variables and coefficients that are combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It is written in the form f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where n is a non-negative integer and an through a0 are constants.

2. What are the different types of polynomial functions?

The different types of polynomial functions are linear, quadratic, cubic, quartic, quintic, and so on, depending on the highest power of the variable. A linear polynomial has a degree of 1, a quadratic has a degree of 2, a cubic has a degree of 3, and so on.

3. How do you graph a polynomial function?

To graph a polynomial function, you first need to determine the degree of the polynomial and its leading coefficient. Then, you can plot points on a coordinate plane by choosing values for x and solving for y. You can also use the leading coefficient and degree to determine the end behavior of the graph. Finally, you can connect the points to create a smooth curve.

4. What is the end behavior of a polynomial function?

The end behavior of a polynomial function is the behavior of the graph as x approaches positive or negative infinity. It is determined by the degree of the polynomial and the sign of the leading coefficient. If the degree is even and the leading coefficient is positive, the graph will have an upward trend at both ends. If the degree is even and the leading coefficient is negative, the graph will have a downward trend at both ends. If the degree is odd, the end behavior will be opposite depending on the sign of the leading coefficient.

5. How do you find the roots of a polynomial function?

The roots of a polynomial function are the values of x that make the function equal to 0. To find the roots, you can use the rational root theorem to determine potential rational roots, and then use synthetic division or the quadratic formula to find the actual roots. You can also use a graphing calculator to estimate the roots.