Position sensor for moving projectile

In summary: I would suggest using high-speed cameras to capture the motion of the magnet and then analyzing the footage to determine the maximum displacement. This would provide a more accurate measurement and also allow for multiple trials to be recorded and analyzed. Another option could be using a laser distance sensor to measure the distance between the magnet and the pole as it moves upward.In summary, the group discussed methods for accurately measuring the maximum vertical displacement of a magnet launched upward using an electromagnet. Suggestions included using a stop on the pole and listening for the sound of the collision, using high-speed cameras to analyze footage, and using a laser distance sensor to measure the distance between the magnet and the pole. These methods would provide more accurate measurements compared to using fixed sensors and allow for multiple
Jdo300
Hello All,

I am going to be conducting a basic physics experiment where a magnet, which can slide up and down a vertical pole is launched upward using an electromagnet. I am not sure how high this magnet will go yet but I'm expecting a maximum vertical displacement of no more than 6-12 inches. My question for you all is how to most accurately measure the maximum vertical displacement of the magnet when it is propelled upward?

Ideally, I want to use some kind of sensor to measure and record the maximum displacement that the magnet is launched to but I'm not sure how to accomplish this in an accurate way. I was thinking about using a series of proximity switches that could be triggered as the magnet is moving past but at this point, the displacement could be as little as 1/2 inch which would make it very hard to accurately calculate the vertical velocity and deceleration to get the height. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Jason O

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably this is not a random launch and there is an independent variable associated with the electromagnet that controls the maximum height. A low tech solution to the problem is to watch a couple of launches and then clamp a stop on the pole at the point wheree you think the max. height is. Repeat the experiment and adjust the stop until the electromagnet barely reaches it. Listen for the sound of the electromagnet hitting the stop. You have maximum height at the point where the sound of the collision disappears.

I agree with you, having fixed sensors is problematic.

Related to Position sensor for moving projectile

What is a position sensor for moving projectile?

A position sensor for moving projectile is a device that is used to measure and track the position of a projectile as it moves through space. It is often used in scientific experiments, military operations, and sports to gather data and improve accuracy.

How does a position sensor for moving projectile work?

A position sensor for moving projectile typically uses a combination of technologies, such as optical sensors, accelerometers, and GPS, to determine the position of the projectile. These sensors gather data on the projectile's speed, acceleration, and location, which is then analyzed to calculate its position.

What are the benefits of using a position sensor for moving projectile?

Using a position sensor for moving projectile allows for more accurate and precise data collection, which can lead to improved performance in various fields such as sports or military operations. It can also provide insights into the behavior and trajectory of the projectile, which can be useful for future improvements and developments.

What are some common applications of a position sensor for moving projectile?

Some common applications of a position sensor for moving projectile include ballistics testing, sports performance analysis, and military targeting systems. It can also be used in research and development of new weapons or technologies, as well as in tracking and monitoring of objects in space.

Are there any limitations to using a position sensor for moving projectile?

While position sensors for moving projectiles are highly accurate, they can be affected by external factors such as wind or air resistance. Additionally, they may not be suitable for use in extreme environments, such as high temperatures or pressures. Calibration and maintenance are also important to ensure accurate readings.