Post doc in physics after bachelors in engineering

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior who wants to pursue a career in physics but is worried about not being able to get into a college in the USA. They are considering getting a bachelor's degree in engineering and then applying for a PhD in physics. They are also wondering about the difficulty of getting assistantships for a physics PhD and if it's possible to pursue a PhD in string theory or LQG after completing a bachelor's in electrical engineering. The speaker is directed to a forum thread for more information on this topic.
dpa
hi all,
i am dead certain i want to be physicist. But seems i will not get colleges in usa. Am a senior at high school and international.
Physics education at my country for bachelors is very poor.
So i am thinking of doing bachelors in engr here and applying for phd physics. How difficult is it to get assistantship for physics phd after b.e.?
Will that be no.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Post-docs are what you get after you've finished your Ph.D (post-doctoral appointments is the full name). If you mean that you need a job, like a teaching assistantship or a research assistantship, then yes Ph.D programs in STEM fields are almost always funded (if you don't get funded, you should not do it).

sorry, i mean to ask can i do phd in string theory/lqg after bachelors in electrical engineering.
:shy:

I understand your passion for physics and your desire to pursue it as a career. It can be challenging to find colleges for physics at the undergraduate level, especially for international students. However, I believe that your plan to study engineering and then pursue a PhD in physics is a smart one.

Having a background in engineering can actually be beneficial for a career in physics. Many concepts and skills from engineering can be applied to physics research, and it can also make you a more well-rounded scientist. Additionally, your engineering degree can make you stand out in the pool of PhD applicants, as it shows that you have a strong background in math and problem-solving.

In terms of getting an assistantship for a PhD in physics, it may be more competitive for those with a background in engineering compared to those with a physics undergraduate degree. However, it is not impossible. I recommend reaching out to potential PhD programs and discussing your background and interests with their admissions department. They may be able to provide more specific information on the likelihood of receiving an assistantship with a BE degree.

Overall, I believe that your plan to pursue a PhD in physics after completing your BE is a viable and strategic one. Keep working hard and pursuing your passion for physics, and I am confident that you will find success in your academic and career goals. Best of luck to you!

Related to Post doc in physics after bachelors in engineering

1. What is a post doc in physics?

A postdoctoral position in physics is a temporary research position for individuals who have recently completed their PhD in physics. It allows them to gain further experience and skills in their field before pursuing a permanent research or teaching position.

2. Can I pursue a post doc in physics after completing a bachelor's degree in engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a postdoctoral position in physics after completing a bachelor's degree in engineering. However, you may need to have some relevant coursework or experience in physics in order to be considered for the position.

3. How long does a post doc in physics typically last?

The duration of a postdoctoral position in physics can vary, but it typically lasts 1-3 years. The exact length will depend on the specific research project and funding available.

4. What are the benefits of doing a post doc in physics?

A postdoctoral position in physics allows you to gain valuable research experience, develop new skills, and expand your professional network. It also provides the opportunity to work with leading researchers in your field and potentially publish papers or present at conferences.

5. Are post doc positions in physics paid?

Yes, postdoctoral positions in physics are typically paid. The salary will vary depending on the institution and location, but it is usually competitive and may include benefits such as health insurance and retirement plans.