Potential energy of mass spring system

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a ring with four identical springs connected to a single mass, each at an angle alpha from the horizontal. The goal is to find an equation for potential energy and the sum of forces from each spring, but the expressions given by the paper do not match with the attempts made by the person in the conversation. The paper assumes that the displacement is much smaller than the radius of the ring and uses a known form of elastic potential energy. The person in the conversation approaches the problem with a more physical motivation, resulting in a potential energy of zero at the exact center. Both approaches are valid.
seanryan
Ok, so the system is a ring with four identical springs connected to a single mass. Each spring is in a different quadrant and at an angle alpha from the horizontal. L is the relaxed length of each spring, k' is the spring constant, and R is the radius of the ring. and ignore gravitational and frictional forces.
See diagram

The mass is oscillating in the x direction only.

I am trying to find and equation for the potential energy and the sum of the forces from each spring but I can never get it right.

The paper that this came from is "mechanical analogs to the landau zener model" by Shore et al. Init he has the potential energy as

[tex]U=k'(2(R-L)^{2} + 2(1-\frac{L}{R}sin^{2}(\alpha))*x^{2})[/tex]

I've tried finding the displacement and putting it into [tex]U=\frac{1}{2} kx^{2}[/tex] and I've tried finding the sum of the forces and [tex]U=-\int {F \bullet dx}[/tex]. Neither gave me anything close to the paper.

If anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• shore problem.jpg
    shore problem.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
seanryan said:
I've tried finding the displacement and putting it into U=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]kx[tex]^{2}[/tex] and I've tried finding the sum of the forces and U=-[tex]\int[/tex]F[tex]\bullet[/tex]dx. Neither gave me anything close to the paper.
What did they give you? Without telling us that, it's difficult to figure out what is confusing you, but I suspect that you are not interpreting those expressions properly in terms of x. Remember:
F=0 when the spring is relaxed.
There are four distinct springs to consider.
According to your drawing, "x" is not the displacement of a given spring from its relaxed state.

turin said:
What did they give you? Without telling us that, it's difficult to figure out what is confusing you, but I suspect that you are not interpreting those expressions properly in terms of x. Remember:
F=0 when the spring is relaxed.
There are four distinct springs to consider.
According to your drawing, "x" is not the displacement of a given spring from its relaxed state.

What I first did was imagine that the mass was displaced a distance d to the right. Then I found what the new length of the springs are. For the left 2 springs i got
[tex]r_{1}^{2}= R^{2}+d^{2}+2Rdcos(\alpha)[/tex]

for the right
[tex]r_{2}^{2}=R^{2}+d^{2}-2Rdcos(\alpha)[/tex]

I then broke these into vector components. The Y components cancel and leave me with
[tex]F= -2k(r_{1}-L)(\frac{R}{r_{1}}cos(\alpha)+\frac{d}{r_{1}})-2k(r_{2}-L)(\frac{R}{r_{2}}cos(\alpha)-\frac{d}{r_{2}})[/tex]

I plugged in the r2 and r1 then I integrated this with respect to d and got

[tex]U=k[2L*(\sqrt{R^{2}+x^{2}+2Rxcos(\alpha)}+\sqrt{R^{2}+x^{2}-2Rxcos(\alpha)})-2x^{2}][/tex]

Last edited:
I also tried taking the x component out of the force then squaring it and putting that into 1/2kx^2 but that didn't work either

Two problems: 1) you have a sign error in your expression for force, and 2) apparently that paper assumes that d << R (neglecting terms of order (d/R)2 and higher). Are you familiar with Taylor series?

Ok, so the sign error just makes the potential energy

[tex]
U=k[-2L*(\sqrt{R^{2}+x^{2}+2Rxcos(\alpha)}+\sqrt{R^{2}+ x^{2}-2Rxcos(\alpha)})+2x^{2}]
[/tex]

If I expand this I would get

[tex]-4kLR-2k\frac{L}{R}sin^{2}(\alpha)x^{2}[/tex]

I can account for the 1-L/R by not expanding the x^2 so I have

[tex]k[2(-2LR)+2(1-\frac{L}{R}sin^{2}(\alpha))x^{2}][/tex]

but now I have to get -2LR to be (R-L)^2

If I subtract a 2L^2 and a 2R^2 I get (R^2+L^2-2LR) which reduces to (R-L)^2

so now I have

[tex]k[2(R-L)^{2}-2L^{2}-2R^{2}+2(1-\frac{L}{R}sin^{2}(\alpha))x^{2}][/tex]

So how do I get rid of the extra terms or what did I do wrong to get the extra terms?

They only change the potential energy by a constant and do not change the effective spring constant but I still would like to match the paper

seanryan said:
So how do I get rid of the extra terms or what did I do wrong to get the extra terms?

They only change the potential energy by a constant and do not change the effective spring constant but I still would like to match the paper
If the only difference in potential energy is a constant, then you have the same physical result.

Probably, in the paper they simply started with the known form of the elastic potential energy:

[tex]U=k^\prime\left(\left(r_1-L\right)^2+\left(r_2-L\right)^2\right)[/tex]

whereas you approached the problem with a more physical motivation by considering the actual physical meaning of the potential energy as the work that is required against the force in order to achieve the given configuration. This means that, for you, the potential energy when the mass is in the exact center is zero, whereas, in the paper, the potential energy at the center is some constant positive value. Neither choice is incorrect, unless you want to make other considerations.

Oh, that's how they did it. Significantly less work than what I was doing. Thanks for all your help.

Related to Potential energy of mass spring system

What is potential energy of a mass spring system?

Potential energy of a mass spring system is the energy that is stored in the system due to the position of the mass and the compression or extension of the spring. It is the energy that is waiting to be released when the mass is allowed to move.

How is the potential energy of a mass spring system calculated?

The potential energy of a mass spring system can be calculated using the equation PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the potential energy of a mass spring system?

The potential energy of a mass spring system is affected by two main factors: the mass of the object and the spring constant. A heavier mass or a stiffer spring will result in a higher potential energy.

How does the potential energy of a mass spring system change with displacement?

The potential energy of a mass spring system follows a quadratic relationship with displacement. This means that as the displacement increases, the potential energy also increases, but at a decreasing rate.

What happens to the potential energy of a mass spring system when the mass is released?

When the mass is released in a mass spring system, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the mass starts to move. This results in a decrease in potential energy and an increase in kinetic energy. The total energy of the system (potential energy + kinetic energy) remains constant.