Power delivered by a generator.

In summary, the power delivered by a generator is determined by its IV rating, which refers to the voltage and current it can produce. This does not include a term for magnetic potential, even though the generator does store some energy in the magnetic field. However, this is not relevant for the power output, which is determined by the load's requirements for voltage and current. The strength of the magnetic field is only important for startup and shutdown, while the power at steady state is not affected by it.
Mppl
I know the power delivered by a generator is IV and I'm ok with that. I'm just curious, why doesn't it include a term involving a magnetic potential? I mean when the generator moves a charge it does some work per unit charge (V) because it applies a force storing energy in the electric field... But doesn't it also store energy in the magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not much. A generator is rated as the max power it can produce. If you only have a small load that requires a fraction of the max power then that's all the generator is actually producing. This power is rated in terms of electrical power. If you look at the details of the generator you could determine all the variables such as the strength of the magnetic field, but it is irrelevant if you already have the power labeled. A load connected to the generator only cares about the voltage and current it can get, not about the magnetic fields of the generator.

Yeah but the power at steady state is not affected by that. Sure, the wire has inductance, but that only comes into play at startup/shut down.

Related to Power delivered by a generator.

1. What is power delivered by a generator?

Power delivered by a generator refers to the amount of electrical energy that the generator can produce and supply to a load or circuit. It is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

2. How is power delivered by a generator calculated?

The power delivered by a generator is calculated by multiplying the generator's voltage output by its current output. This can be represented by the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

3. What factors affect the power delivered by a generator?

The power delivered by a generator can be affected by various factors, such as the size and type of the generator, the speed at which it is rotating, and the load or demand on the generator. Other factors include the type and condition of the fuel used, as well as any external factors that may impact the generator's performance.

4. How does the load impact the power delivered by a generator?

The load, or the electrical devices or appliances connected to the generator, can greatly impact the power delivered by a generator. If the load is too high, the generator may not be able to supply enough power, resulting in a decrease in voltage and potential damage to the generator. On the other hand, if the load is too low, the generator may produce more power than is needed, leading to wasted energy.

5. Can the power delivered by a generator be increased?

Yes, the power delivered by a generator can be increased by adjusting the speed at which it is rotating, increasing the fuel supply, or adding additional generators in parallel to supply more power. However, it is important to ensure that the generator is not overloaded and can safely handle the increased power output.