Power line inductance on an electric fence

In summary, electric fences are dangerous if they are not properly earthed, are too close to current carrying wires, or are made of conductive materials.
Creini
Hi,

Hope this is the right forum to ask this question.

I have an electric fence running parallell to an electrified railway (25kV@50Hz, varying current). I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the induced voltage on the fence to figure out how long the fence can be before it becomes dangerous.

As far as I can make out this will be dependant on how well the fence is earthed, how far away from the current carrying conductor(s) and the permeability of the material in the fence?

Most of the examples I can find is on how to calculate the inductance between two (or more) current carrying conductors.

Should I consider my fence as a conductor? And then calculate the mutual inductance between the two? To calculate the mutual inductance I should calculate the flux linkages[tex]\varphi[/tex]?

I think the flux linkages per meter is the same as the flux per meter as there is only one link (N=1). Which would give me:

d[tex]\phi[/tex]=([tex]\mu[/tex]*I)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex]x) dx Wb/m = [tex]\varphi[/tex]

in this case(?). Do I then integrate [tex]\varphi[/tex] from the current carrying conductor to the fence? e.g. if the fence is 5m from the conductor, would I integrate from the outside of the conductor (e.g. 0.05m) to 5m?

[tex]\varphi[/tex]cond,fence = ([tex]\mu[/tex]*I)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex])*ln(5/0.05)

Or do I integrate just around the fence? E.g. from 4.95 to 5.05?

Or am I completely wrong?

Hope this made any sense.
/Mattias

Physics news on Phys.org
weird ... the magnetic field acts along the height of the fence. the induced current has to oppose that magnetic field so the current must flow parallel to the railway line in opp. direction inside the fence , but its grounded hence...

Interesting question. First, the magnetic field from a single power line drops off at 1/r, and only the magnetic field between R (the separation to the electric fence) and ∞ will couple to the electric fence (ignoring ground effects). Second, there are one or two additional power lines carrying the return current (so the sum current = zero), so the magnetic field from all the conductors is proportional to the separation of the power lines, and drops off faster with r, probably 1/r2. This is actually a directional coupler, as pointed out by the previous post, so in ideal situations, the induced signal in the electric fence is in the opposite direction to the power flow in the power line. I recall two papers written in the 1950's, one by Firestone, and another by Barney Oliver (who moved to HP ~1952). See references listed in

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1463947&dl=GUIDE&coll=GUIDE&CFID=89460559&CFTOKEN=84801571

Bob S

Last edited:

Related to Power line inductance on an electric fence

1. How does power line inductance affect an electric fence?

Power line inductance refers to the magnetic fields created by nearby power lines. These magnetic fields can interfere with the function of an electric fence by inducing unwanted currents in the fence wires. This can lead to a decrease in the effectiveness of the electric shock and potentially cause safety hazards.

2. How far away should an electric fence be from power lines?

The recommended distance between an electric fence and power lines is at least 15 feet. This distance helps to minimize the effects of power line inductance on the fence and reduce the risk of interference.

3. Can power line inductance damage an electric fence?

While power line inductance can decrease the effectiveness of an electric fence, it is unlikely to cause any physical damage to the fence itself. However, if the induced currents are strong enough, they can potentially damage the energizer or other components of the fence system.

4. How can I reduce the effects of power line inductance on my electric fence?

One way to reduce the effects of power line inductance is by installing a grounding system for the fence. This helps to dissipate any induced currents and prevent them from interfering with the fence. It is also important to maintain a safe distance from power lines and avoid running the fence parallel to them.

5. What are the signs of power line inductance interference on an electric fence?

Some common signs of power line inductance interference on an electric fence include a decrease in the shock strength, inconsistent shocks, or the fence not functioning at all. If you suspect that your electric fence is being affected by power line inductance, it is best to contact a professional for assistance.