Power loss between the electricity meter and the building

In summary, the speaker has a hydro meter for their house located on a pole 200-250ft away from their house on a 5.5 acre property. They are wondering if this distance could result in a loss of power and cause their house to consume more power than necessary. They have noticed a slight dimming of lights when a motor starts, such as the A/C. The speaker is aware of voltage drops on long runs and mentions calculations to minimize this. They also mention the use of recorders to track voltage and other factors. The speaker suggests consulting a professional electrician for an accurate assessment.
AC/DC
The hydro meter for my house sits on a pole at the front of my property (5.5 acres) approximetly 200 - 250ft from my house I can't give you the wire size that runs under ground.
My question is: Is there a loss of power in the distance from the meter to the house and would this result in my house consuming more power than needed.
I have noticed when a motor starts ie the A/C there is a faint diming of the lights.

Probaly a stupid question I know I thought I should ask those who know

Engineering news on Phys.org

On any long run there is always a voltage drop, but a properly designed service will size the conductors to minimize that drop. I don't know where you are (I assume Canada by the use of the word hydro. Sorry if I am wrong.), but in the NEC they recommend a 3%-5% drop.There are calculations using conductor length, material, area, typical current load... etc. Any large draw(a/c, compressor, electric heat) will cause a drop in voltage on the mains, causing a dimming of the lights. There are recorders that can be used to track the voltage, current, power factor, apparent power, real power and can graph them for you. It is an expensive piece of equip. and takes someone experienced to read the output, but the info is invaluable.

If the dimming isn't too bad and isn't causing problems like premature lamp failure, motor or compressor failure, etc , you probably don't need to worry about it.

Your best bet is to find a good electrician in your area and have him look at it. Without a wire size, and accurate length, current draw, and what the wire is (Cu or Al) it would be just a guess.

Related to Power loss between the electricity meter and the building

What causes power loss between the electricity meter and the building?

There are several potential causes of power loss between the electricity meter and the building. These include faulty wiring, damaged or degraded insulation, loose connections, and old or outdated equipment.

How can I tell if there is power loss between the electricity meter and the building?

There are a few signs that may indicate power loss between the electricity meter and the building. These include flickering or dimming lights, appliances not working at full capacity, and unusually high electricity bills.

Can power loss between the electricity meter and the building be dangerous?

In some cases, power loss between the electricity meter and the building can pose safety hazards. If the cause of the power loss is faulty wiring or loose connections, there is a risk of electrical fires. It is important to address power loss issues as soon as possible to prevent potential dangers.

How can power loss between the electricity meter and the building be fixed?

The specific solution for power loss between the electricity meter and the building will depend on the underlying cause. It is best to consult a licensed electrician to identify and fix the issue. This may involve replacing faulty wiring, repairing damaged insulation, or updating old equipment.

Are there any preventative measures to avoid power loss between the electricity meter and the building?

Regular maintenance and inspections of electrical systems can help prevent power loss between the electricity meter and the building. It is also important to use high-quality wiring and equipment, and to address any issues as soon as they arise.