Power relation to lightbulb wattage

In summary, OmCheeto said that electricity is like a woman having a baby. It's kind of squishy, and there's a lot of force involved. And then she has about a bazillion more babies. Only, she has to eat her babies. And then, everyone argues, how she did that.
nmsurobert
Power is measured in watts and lightbulbs are rated in watts.

P = W/t
and
W = Fd
What is being displaced? electrical current?

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't try to make that direct comparison between electrical energy and mechanical energy. Electrons in wires do move, but their behavior is very different than say bowling balls, so the comparison only confuses.

Think of a chemical reaction that also produces energy. You mix two things and it gets hot. You wouldn't ask what is being displaced in that case would you?

Likes cnh1995 and nmsurobert
nmsurobert said:

P = W/t
and
W = Fd
Electrical energy (not current) is converted to heat.

Edit: sorry, not on point.
W=fd applies to a specific kind of mechanical work only. It does not apply here.

Likes nmsurobert
ah ok. that makes sense thanks, guys!

Likes russ_watters
nmsurobert said:

P = W/t
and
W = Fd

Yes [edit: speaking laymanishy, that is]

Likes lekh2003
For electrical energy...

W=V*I

Aside: light bulbs should be rated in Lumens and Watts.

CWatters said:
For electrical energy...

W=V*I

?
This makes it look like "W" = "work" which is sometimes "energy" = volts * amps, which is not correct.
Guessing you meant "W" = "watts", which is power, which is not energy.
?

OmCheeto said:
Yes [edit: speaking laymanishy, that is]

I tried explaining this about 6 years ago. My post got no acknowledgments, and looking back on it now, I can understand why, as it's all very complicated.

Here's my latest attempt.

2018.01.26.electrical.vs.mechanical.power.png

It's still lacking, IMHO.

Attachments

• 2018.01.26.electrical.vs.mechanical.power.png
    2018.01.26.electrical.vs.mechanical.power.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 632
@OmCheeto as you noted, the electrons move only a small distance (not arbitrary but small). That makes the whole analogy unhelpful. Too many students visualize electrons in a wire to be like ball bearings in a pipe, and energy like a bucket collecting ball bearings at the end of the pipe. We should discourage that.

anorlunda said:
@OmCheeto as you noted, the electrons move only a small distance (not arbitrary but small). That makes the whole analogy unhelpful. Too many students visualize electrons in a wire to be like ball bearings in a pipe, and energy like a bucket collecting ball bearings at the end of the pipe. We should discourage that.
hmmm...
It may take me another 6 years to incorporate your comments into a useful analogy.
But I'm in no rush.

ps. Electrons are like ball bearings in a pipe, IMHO. They're just a bit more squishy, and have arms that stick out, to slap people on the butt, while driving by in the car.

hmmm... Where's @Drakkith when I need him?

OmCheeto; "Electricity is like a woman having a baby. It's kind of squishy, and there's a lot of force involved. And then she has about a bazillion more babies. Only, she has to eat her babies. And then, everyone argues, how she did that."

hmmmm...
It may be another 12 years before I develop an adequate analogy.

OmCheeto said:
?
This makes it look like "W" = "work" which is sometimes "energy" = volts * amps, which is not correct.
Guessing you meant "W" = "watts", which is power, which is not energy.
?
Yes sorry I mean W as in Watts.

Energy = power * time

OmCheeto said:
ps. Electrons are like ball bearings in a pipe, IMHO. They're just a bit more squishy, and have arms that stick out, to slap people on the butt, while driving by in the car.

hmmm... Where's @Drakkith when I need him?

I can't help you on your analogies, Om. I'm out slapping electron butts.

Besides, I prefer to think of electrons in a wire as if they were a plethora of pushy particles perpetually pinging around a lazily lounging little lattice.

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
ps. Electrons are like ball bearings in a pipe, IMHO. They're just a bit more squishy,
No. Not ballbearings because that would imply that their mass is relevant. It is not. Go for very rigid polystyrene balls instead and that would imply they have almost zero Kinetic Energy. (Mass of the electrons in a wire is about 1/100,000 of the actual wire mass)
On PF we should be trying to lay all those ghosts of bad Science that people are presented with from their earliest years.

Likes OmCheeto
sophiecentaur said:
trying to lay all those ghosts
I'm still trying to figure out how that would work. :oldconfused:

Tom.G said:
I'm still trying to figure out how that would work. :oldconfused:
We can only do our best.

sophiecentaur said:
No. Not ballbearings because that would imply that their mass is relevant. It is not. Go for very rigid polystyrene balls instead and that would imply they have almost zero Kinetic Energy. (Mass of the electrons in a wire is about 1/100,000 of the actual wire mass)
On PF we should be trying to lay all those ghosts of bad Science that people are presented with from their earliest years.
Ok. But in my defense, I did say;

OmCheeto said:
It may be another 12 years before I develop an adequate analogy.

Though, I think that is overly optimistic.
Maybe in my next lifetime.

Btw, my main point was to try and reconcile the "meter" thing. Everything else is just bad analogy.
Not sure if you remember, but I voiced an interest in writing an insights article a while back, on "How and why the electrostatic chicken crossed the road".
After numerous attempts, I decided it was a rabbits hole, from whence I would never escape.
Basically, I decided it would just be a transliteration of the electromagnetism portion from my college text. A story full of bizarre roosters and hens, wielding sticks, and being surround[ed] by bees. But the bees only show up if the chickens move.

Ehr mehr gerd...

edit: I get excited, and misspell things, when that happens.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
OmCheeto said:
"How and why the electrostatic chicken crossed the road".
I guess the result would have been a Cross Product of the variables Chicken and Road. (Chicken's name was Victor - or Vector)

anorlunda said:
Electrons in wires do move, but their behavior is very different than say bowling balls, ...
Differently indeed.
From Microscopic View of Ohm's Law:
micohm.gif

Attachments

• micohm.gif
    micohm.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 529
Likes OmCheeto
sophiecentaur said:
I guess the result would have been a Cross Product of the variables Chicken and Road. (Chicken's name was Victor - or Vector)
I've heard it said, that you will never understand anything about electromagnetism, until you understand Maxwell's equations.

The dot products I can only approximate to spring-like poking sticks, and the cross products I can only relate to a hive of bees, buzzing around, in a most peculiar way, really pissed off, at the person trying to describe them.

Likes Tom.G
OmCheeto said:
I've heard it said, that you will never understand anything about electromagnetism, until you understand Maxwell's equations.

The dot products I can only approximate to spring-like poking sticks, and the cross products I can only relate to a hive of bees, buzzing around, in a most peculiar way, really pissed off, at the person trying to describe them.
I must say, I find your correspondences very refreshing and not a little confusing. There are some rather po-faced contributors to PF and you are definitely not one of them. Don't ever stop - even if the mods whup yo' ass.

Likes Tom.G and dlgoff

1. How does wattage affect the brightness of a lightbulb?

The wattage of a lightbulb refers to the amount of electrical power it consumes. In general, the higher the wattage, the brighter the lightbulb will be. This is because more electrical power is being used to produce light.

2. Can a higher wattage lightbulb be used in a fixture rated for a lower wattage?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher wattage lightbulb in a fixture that is rated for a lower wattage. This can cause the fixture to overheat and potentially pose a fire hazard. It is important to always use lightbulbs with wattage ratings that match the fixture.

3. Is there a relationship between lightbulb wattage and energy efficiency?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between lightbulb wattage and energy efficiency. Generally, lower wattage lightbulbs will use less energy and be more energy efficient. This is why LED lightbulbs, which have low wattage ratings, are often recommended for their energy efficiency.

4. Does the color or type of light affect the wattage of a lightbulb?

No, the color or type of light does not directly affect the wattage of a lightbulb. However, different types of lightbulbs may have different wattage ratings, as some may be more energy efficient than others. Additionally, colored lightbulbs may appear dimmer even if they have the same wattage as a white lightbulb due to the color filter.

5. How does the wattage of a lightbulb impact its lifespan?

The wattage of a lightbulb does not directly impact its lifespan. However, higher wattage lightbulbs may generate more heat, which can shorten the lifespan of the bulb. It is important to use lightbulbs with wattage ratings that are appropriate for the fixture to avoid potential overheating and premature burnout.