Power series - Different problem

In summary: The writer mistakenly stated that the limit is multiplied by infinity, but in reality it is multiplied by 0.
Neon32
In the power series below, I've used the ratio test and at the end I got |x-2| times infinity which is >1 so it diverges.. and in this case there is no interval of convergence because it's times inifnity.. How did he conclude that it converges at x=2??

upload_2017-3-28_21-27-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-28_21-24-43.png
    upload_2017-3-28_21-24-43.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
Neon32 said:
In the power series below, I've used the ratio test and at the end I got |x-2| times infinity which is >1 so it diverges.. and in this case there is no interval of convergence because it's times inifnity.. How did he conclude that it converges at x=2??

View attachment 115211
Because at x = 2, the limit is mulitplied by 0, and the part that says "when x ≠ 0" really should say "when x ≠ 2".

I should add that the absolute value on the fraction inside the limit is unnecessary. All the terms are positive, so the | | signs can be removed.

And, the writer's grasp of English is not very good. It should say, "The series is convergent at ..." or "The series converges at ..."

Mark44 said:
Because at x = 2, the limit is mulitplied by 0, and the part that says "when x ≠ 0" really should say "when x ≠ 2".

I should add that the absolute value on the fraction inside the limit is unnecessary. All the terms are positive, so the | | signs can be removed.

And, the writer's grasp of English is not very good. It should say, "The series is convergent at ..." or "The series converges at ..."

I'm not sure if I got the first line well. if x=2 the limit will be multiplied by 0 so at the end we'll get 0 times inifnity. How is that convergent? Please elaborate. Thanks for your help!

Here's the series:
$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{(2n + 1)!}{n^3}(x - 2)^n$$
If x = 2, every term in the series is 0, so the sum of the series is 0, and it is therefore convergent.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term contains a variable raised to a different power.

2. How do you find the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence can be found by applying the ratio test to the series. This involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the radius of convergence is equal to the value of the variable at which the limit was taken.

3. Can a power series converge at more than one point?

Yes, a power series can converge at more than one point. This occurs when the radius of convergence is larger than the distance between the two points where the series converges.

4. How do you use a power series to approximate a function?

To approximate a function using a power series, you can expand the function into a power series centered at a specific point. The resulting series can then be truncated at a certain number of terms to get an approximation of the original function.

5. Can a power series represent all types of functions?

No, a power series can only represent certain types of functions, specifically those that are continuous and differentiable within the radius of convergence. Other types of functions, such as piecewise functions or functions with discontinuities, cannot be represented as a power series.