Power Series: Find First 4 Terms of Series Expansion for Sec x

Sam have a conversation about finding the series expansion for sec x, where Joe asks for help understanding how to treat the division of power series. Sam explains that it involves expanding the powers of "stuff" and then using the binomial theorem to deduce the series for sec x. In summary, they discuss using the series expansion for cosx in powers of x to find the first four non-zero terms of the corresponding series for sec x, using the binomial theorem to deduce the series for sec x.
Fermatslast
Can anyone help me with this? It's been really annoying me and I think I am just forgetting something:

Using the series expansion for cosx in powers of x find the first four non-zero terms of the corresponding series for sec x.

I get obviously that as secx is 1/cosx it is a case of division of power series but I get confused because it is 1/a power series rather than a power series/a power series so I'm not sure how to treat this.

I would really appreciate help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically you want to expand this:

[tex]\frac {1}{1-stuff}[/tex]

which you can expand into

[tex] 1 + stuff + stuff^2 + stuff^3 + O(stuff^4)[/tex]

and you'll do a lot of algebra to expand the powers of stuff all of which must contain several terms in powers of x. Enjoy!

Thankyou

Thankyou very much. I will give it a go :)

Okay, get the maclaurin expansion for cosx

namely, 1-x^2/2 + x^4/4! -...

Then write (1+(x^4/4! -x^2/2+...) for cos x

Since sec x =(cosx)^-1 you can now use the binomial theorem to deduce the series for secx

Regards,

Joe

Related to Power Series: Find First 4 Terms of Series Expansion for Sec x

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are the coefficients and a is a constant. It is used to represent a function as a sum of its derivatives at a specific point.

2. Why is it important to find the first 4 terms of a power series expansion for Sec x?

By finding the first 4 terms of a power series expansion for Sec x, we can approximate the value of Sec x at a specific point. This can be useful in solving problems in calculus, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you find the first 4 terms of a power series expansion for Sec x?

To find the first 4 terms of a power series expansion for Sec x, we use the Maclaurin series for Sec x, which is 1 + x2/2! + 5x4/4! + 61x6/6! + ... . We then plug in x=0 and simplify to get the first 4 terms: 1 + x2/2 + 5x4/24 + 61x6/720.

4. Can the first 4 terms of a power series expansion for Sec x represent the function accurately?

The accuracy of the first 4 terms of a power series expansion for Sec x depends on the value of x. The closer x is to 0, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, as x gets larger, the approximation will become less accurate.

5. Are there any real-world applications of power series expansions for Sec x?

Power series expansions for Sec x can be used in real-world applications such as designing electronic circuits, analyzing data in statistics, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering. It can also be used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth curves and surfaces.