Power Transmission: How High Voltage/Low Current Works

In summary, electrical power is transferred at high voltage and low current in order to reduce energy loss in the form of i^2R. This is achieved through the use of transformers, which step up the voltage and decrease the current before the power is transmitted over long distances. This is possible because of the back EMF produced by the load, which increases the apparent resistance and keeps VI (power) the same.
MotoPayton
From what I have read electrical power is transferred at high voltage and low current in order to reduce energy loss in the form of i^2R. High voltage at low current is the same power as low voltage at high current.

My question is how do they do it. If they apply a higher voltage and the resistance in the transmission wire is not changing how is the current made smaller.

From V=IR applying a higher voltage should increase the current and the power.

I'm confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually they would step down the voltages/currents using a transformer.

Ultimately, it is the load that pulls however much it needs.

MotoPayton said:
From what I have read electrical power is transferred at high voltages in order to reduce energy loss in the form of i^2R. High voltage at low current is the same power as low voltage at high current.

My question is how do they do it. If they apply a higher voltage and the resistance in the transmission wire is not changing how is the current made smaller.

From V=IR applying a higher voltage should increase the current and the power.

I'm confused.

They choose a very high voltage to transmit the power - so the I (in the VI=P) can be low. Most transmission uses AC so, at the consumer end, a transformer will reduce the volts to a manageable value for the short distance from transformer to consumer.

Last edited:
So before the electrical power is transferred over a large distance a transformer will be used to to step up the voltage. This in turn will decease the current since the power going into the transformer is the same going out assuming no energy loss.

So now my question leads to... How can a transformer step up the voltage to a high amount yet only allow a small current. Because form the external circuit point of view all it sees is a high voltage and should obtain a higher current consistent with V=IR.

I guess the answer lies in the back EMF of the transformer?

Yes - the current that the load is taking (from the secondary of the transformer) produces a back emf and the high voltage supply 'sees' a much higher resistance than is actually connected to the secondary. Stepping down the volts by a factor of ten has the effect of increasing the apparent resistance by a factor of 100 - thus keeping VI the same. It's called Impedance Transformation.

Also see "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail" .

Last edited by a moderator:
The proper equation to analyzer this is Ohm's law for power loss in a resistor:

P = i*i*r

taterz said:
The proper equation to analyzer this is Ohm's law for power loss in a resistor:

P = i*i*r

To analyse what? We already know about IsquaredR losses in the supply cable. The issue is how to reduce the I in the cable without reducing the amount of Power transmitted.

Power loss in the cable is given by P(loss)=i*i*r. The power delivered to the load P(load) = v*i where v is the voltage across the load. So for any specific P(load) there is less loss transmitting to the load if "v" is made larger and "i" is made smaller.

Related to Power Transmission: How High Voltage/Low Current Works

What is power transmission?

Power transmission is the process of transferring electrical energy from one point to another. This is typically done through power lines or cables.

Why is high voltage used in power transmission?

High voltage is used in power transmission because it allows for more efficient energy transfer. This is because lower currents are needed to transmit the same amount of power, reducing energy losses due to resistance.

How does low current work in power transmission?

In power transmission, low current works by reducing the amount of energy lost due to resistance. This is achieved by using high voltage, which allows for lower currents to be used while still transmitting the same amount of power.

What are the dangers of high voltage in power transmission?

The main danger of high voltage in power transmission is the risk of electric shock. High voltage can also cause equipment to malfunction or fail, leading to power outages.

How is electricity generated for power transmission?

Electricity for power transmission is typically generated through various sources such as coal, natural gas, nuclear, hydro, wind, and solar power. The electricity is then converted to high voltage for transmission through power lines or cables.