Practical Fluid Mechanics: inversions & mixing

In summary: So, even if it is technically legal, it probably wouldn’t be a good idea.It should not be you that does the code analysis. I second @berkeman 's advice.
CodeScience
I'm trying to think through a situation, and develop some confidence I've got it right.
The situation is a apartment building, about 60'/20m high, with a courtyard in the middle about 60'/20m square. In the middle of the courtyard, is an low exhaust stack, about 8' high and around 8' square, that exhausts a 2-level underground parking garage.
My sense is that it is not certain that the emissions of that garage will make it out of the courtyard: They will be a mix of CO2, CO, volatile organics, particulate matter and other things. On a warm & windless day they may well emerge well below the ambient temperature, which could create a microclimate or small inversion layer...
I'd be interested in hearing opinions, being pointed to relevant research, or anything else people might think is helpful.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
CodeScience said:
I'm trying to think through a situation, and develop some confidence I've got it right.
The situation is a apartment building, about 60'/20m high, with a courtyard in the middle about 60'/20m square. In the middle of the courtyard, is an low exhaust stack, about 8' high and around 8' square, that exhausts a 2-level underground parking garage.
My sense is that it is not certain that the emissions of that garage will make it out of the courtyard: They will be a mix of CO2, CO, volatile organics, particulate matter and other things. On a warm & windless day they may well emerge well below the ambient temperature, which could create a microclimate or small inversion layer...
I'd be interested in hearing opinions, being pointed to relevant research, or anything else people might think is helpful.
Thanks!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Yikes, it doesn't sound like that is built to code. What country and city is this building in? You should ask your local building code enforcement folks if an extension should be added to that exhaust stack, IMO.

Nope, it's not in code explicitly: there are always special cases though. It would be extraordinarily hard to capture every possible scenario in the code, unless you just make really restrictive code. I can do the code analysis (the synopsis: it's not addressed) -- I'm curious about people's opinions/gut reactions/related research/whatever.

CodeScience said:
Nope, it's not in code explicitly:
I think it is. I suppose the only question is "which roof", but it's reasonable to specify the roof of the dwelling, not just the roof of the garage...

http://blog.bigrocksupply.com/brs/2013/07/vent-pipe-height-code-requirements

The problem is, the limits wrt the roof are: at least 3' above any roof within 10'. Well, the courtyard is definitely big enough to not be within 10' of any roof, for a vent near the middle.
Interesting thing, there's also a limit in our code of 20' from an operable window, and they can't QUITE do that in this particular courtyard. However, I'm trying to think of this a little more generally: if their courtyard were 4' wider, they could get 20' from all windows, and (it seems likely, to me) it would still be a terrible idea: pushing garage exhaust into a courtyard that might be filled with children playing while an inversion situation concentrates garage emissions at ground level just seems like a bad idea, or at least a very-hard-to-prove-that-it's-ok idea..

Likes berkeman
It should not be you that does the code analysis. I second @berkeman 's advice.
berkeman said:
You should ask your local building code enforcement folks if an extension should be added to that exhaust stack
Let those people to the analysis.

Likes berkeman
Just to be clear: I'm not seeking code advice. I was looking for insight into a real-world physics problem involving gas mixing under various situations. For the purpose of my question, there's no one else who's going to do the analysis. There are two specific questions is love to see addressed: do you believe this courtyard situation could be troublesome or dangerous? ( No, your answer doesn't make you legally responsible!). And, what solutions can you think of...

I think I see what you’re saying, and I understand your concerns. Basically, you are thinking that this arrangement may, by mere technicality, be legal, but that wouldn’t make the fumes any less harmful, right? Completely reasonable.

However, I don’t think I would worry overmuch about the inversion layer scenario that you have mentioned. One question; is the vent powered by a fan? If it isn’t, then on any day that the air in the parking structure is heavier than the air outside, nothing is coming out of that pipe. I am assuming here that the entrance/exit for the garage is lower than the ground level in the courtyard, right? If so, then on any day like the one you describe, air is going in the vent, and out the the driveways.

Additionally, I am certain it had to pass some kind of inspection before being Occupied.

1. What is the purpose of studying practical fluid mechanics and inversions & mixing?

The study of practical fluid mechanics and inversions & mixing is important because it helps us understand how fluids behave and interact with each other. This knowledge is essential in various fields such as engineering, environmental science, and meteorology.

2. How do inversions and mixing affect the movement and behavior of fluids?

Inversions occur when the normal temperature profile of the atmosphere is reversed, causing a layer of warm air to trap a layer of cooler air below it. This can greatly impact the movement of fluids, as it can create stagnant layers and hinder mixing. On the other hand, mixing plays a crucial role in the movement and behavior of fluids, as it helps distribute heat, nutrients, and pollutants.

3. What are some practical applications of fluid mechanics and inversions & mixing?

Understanding fluid mechanics and inversions & mixing has many practical applications, such as designing efficient turbines and aircraft wings, predicting weather patterns, and developing strategies for controlling pollution and oil spills.

4. How does the study of fluid mechanics and inversions & mixing contribute to our understanding of the environment?

By studying fluid mechanics and inversions & mixing, we can gain a better understanding of how fluids move and interact with each other in the environment. This knowledge is crucial in predicting and mitigating the effects of natural disasters, such as hurricanes and floods.

5. What are some common challenges in studying practical fluid mechanics and inversions & mixing?

One of the main challenges in studying practical fluid mechanics and inversions & mixing is the complex nature of fluid flow and mixing processes. It often requires advanced mathematical and computational techniques to accurately model and analyze these phenomena. Additionally, obtaining accurate data in real-world scenarios can also be a challenge.