Practical scenario: NIR laser, black light marker and lamp.

In summary, the conversation discusses the practical application of Physics in a scenario involving hair removal using a cosmetic laser. The laser emits NIR light and protective glasses are worn by the operator. A grid is drawn on the skin using an opaque white grease pencil, which may cause excessive heat buildup and interfere with the laser's effectiveness. To address this issue, the possibility of using a black-light marker and lamp is suggested. Suggestions are also given on marker color choices and potential solutions to prevent buildup on the laser port. The conversation ends with a request for updates on the results.
MATT F
...and my high-school buddies said you'll never use this stuff in real life. Hello, my name is Matt and once in a while I deal with the practical application of Physics in a wide range of real-life settings. Most of the time I'm capable of researching the given topic myself. This time, I need a confirmation from someone knowledgeable, someone who paid attention in high-school Physics class :)

A very practical scenario / questions:

A cosmetic laser used for hair removal emits NIR light 810 - 1300 nm. Protective glasses are worn by the operator.

To delineate treatment area, a grid is drawn on skin, using opaque, white grease pencil.
The laser is pressed against the skin and fired. Emitted light energy "burns" the hair and follicle. And voila; perfect, hairless skin.

As the treatment progresses, the pencil wears off, flakes off and forms a thin, not transparent film on the laser, which limits the amount of light reaching the skin and by reflecting the light back, causes excessive heat buildup inside of the device.

If a black-light marker (no wearing off, no flaking off) was used to delineate the treatment area and the skin was illuminated by a black light lamp (protective glasses not necessary), will the grid be visible through the laser - protective glasses? If so, which marker colour will be visible the most? Also, which marker colour(s) will interfere the least with the emitted NIR laser light?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
MATT F said:
will the grid be visible through the laser - protective glasses?
Since the black-light marker emits in the visible, if you can see anything thru the goggles you can pick a marker color that is visible. (The human eye is most sensitive in the Yellow-Green spectral region. But you may need different colors for different skin tones.)

MATT F said:
To delineate treatment area, a grid is drawn on skin, using opaque, white grease pencil.
The laser is pressed against the skin and fired. Emitted light energy "burns" the hair and follicle.
Does that leave grid lines on the skin that does not have the hair removed? If not, then the grease pencil, being opaque, must obviously be decomposed by the laser; which would probably occur regardless of the marker used. I would expect that some of the deposit on the laser port is from vaporized material from the patient. Introducing an air flow at the laser port would flush the fumes away.

Good luck.
Keep us updated on your results.

1. What is a NIR laser?

A NIR (near-infrared) laser is a type of laser that emits light in the near-infrared spectrum, which is just beyond the visible spectrum of light. This type of laser is commonly used in scientific research and medical applications due to its ability to penetrate deep into tissue.

2. What is a black light marker?

A black light marker is a type of marker that is designed to be visible under UV or black light. These markers contain fluorescent pigments that react to UV light, making them appear to glow in the dark. They are often used for creating invisible markings or for creating special effects in art or performances.

3. How does the NIR laser interact with the black light marker?

The NIR laser interacts with the black light marker by exciting the fluorescent pigments in the marker, causing them to emit visible light. This allows the markings made with the marker to become visible, even in low light conditions.

4. What is the purpose of the lamp in this scenario?

The lamp is used to provide a source of UV or black light, which is necessary for the black light marker to be visible. Without the lamp, the markings made with the black light marker would not be visible, even with the NIR laser.

5. What are some practical applications of using a NIR laser, black light marker, and lamp together?

Some practical applications of using these tools together include creating invisible or hidden markings for security purposes, detecting and analyzing fluorescent compounds in scientific research, and creating special effects in performances or art installations.