Precipitation of barium sulfate?

In summary: Precipitation of barium sulfate??In summary, my group's result was different from the actual amount of sulfate found in the lawn food. We found that the sulfate concentration was about 2% less than the actual value. I am trying to find out if there was any error in our prac, and if so, what it might be. I know that we spilled a couple of drops of the mixture, but it wasn't that much. Washing the precipitate with copious amounts of water is always risky, but barium sulfate is insoluble in water.
ASidd
Precipitation of barium sulfate??

We had to determine the content of sulfate found in lawn food for a class prac.

Anyway what we did was to dissolve the fertilizer in HCl and then add barium cholride to it in order to precipitate sulfate as barium sulfate. We later determined its concentration using gravimetric analysis.

The results of my group was substantially different to the actual amount of sulfate present in the fertilizer. Our result was about 2% less than the actual value.

Now I am trying to find some possible sources of error in the prac. I know that we spilled a couple of drops of the mixture but it was not that much. I was wondering if somehow impurities can impact upon the mass being less than it's supposed to be? I know impurities usually cause mass to be larger but I read somewhere that occulsions can causesul mass to be smaller than the actual value?

Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org

Also can someone tell me what is the meaning of washing the precipitate. Like with such a fine solid like Barium sulfate how would you wash it?

Was all fertilizer dissolved, or was there some solid residue?

Have you aged the precipitate before filtering?

Most impurities will mean your final result would be too high, not too low.

No all of the fertilizer had definitely dissolved

We did let the precipitate sit for about 48 hours but what happened was that some of it got stuck to the bottom so we had to wash it with about 2 bottles of DE-ionized water in order to make it unstuck. So I am wondering if some of the precipitate peptized upon adding the huge amounts of de-ionised water?
Although when we filtered the solution the filtrate didn't look cloudy but I am also thinking if some of the precipitate went through without the filtrate becoming cloudy?

If you wash with copious amounts of water yo always risk dissolving some of the precipitate. It is better to wash with solution containing ion used for precipitation.

But barium sulfate is insoluble in water?

There is no such thing as "insoluble". There are varying degrees of solubility.

Google for "solubility product".

1. What is precipitation of barium sulfate?

Precipitation of barium sulfate refers to the process of forming solid particles of barium sulfate in a solution, resulting in the removal of barium and sulfate ions from the solution.

2. What causes precipitation of barium sulfate?

Precipitation of barium sulfate is caused by the reaction between barium and sulfate ions in a solution, resulting in the formation of solid barium sulfate particles.

3. What factors affect the precipitation of barium sulfate?

The precipitation of barium sulfate is affected by several factors, including the concentration of barium and sulfate ions in the solution, temperature, pH, and the presence of other ions or compounds that may interfere with the reaction.

4. What is the importance of controlling precipitation of barium sulfate?

Controlling the precipitation of barium sulfate is important in various industrial processes, such as wastewater treatment and mineral processing, as well as in laboratory experiments, to ensure accurate results and prevent equipment damage or clogging.

5. How is precipitation of barium sulfate measured?

The amount of barium sulfate precipitated can be measured through gravimetric analysis, which involves isolating and weighing the solid barium sulfate particles formed. Other methods include spectrophotometry, which measures the amount of light absorbed by the solution, and ion chromatography, which separates and quantifies the individual ions in the solution.