Predict Next Number in Sequence - 4

• Thread starter msticky
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the next number in a sequence without a given rule or pattern. Some examples of different sequences and methods for predicting the next number are mentioned, including using a program to detect patterns and using a formula. The conversation also touches on the idea that some sequences may not have a predictable pattern, such as those generated by a random sequence. Ultimately, it is concluded that without a given rule or pattern, it is impossible to accurately predict the next number in a sequence.
msticky
Can you find the next number in a sequence

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Anything could be generating that sequence. The logistic map, for example. That's the nature of chaos theory.

Reading about the chaos theory its seem just that so I wonder if this group of numbers is any better

Like already been said, it can be anything. You should be given a rule to predict the next number, otherwise it is very arbitrary.

Questions like "find the next number", like you see on IQ-tests, are not part of mathematics. It's more pattern recognition than anything.

So, can you give us some information where this came from?

What number comes next in this sequence?

3, 1, 4, 1, 5, ...

If you said 9 then you might be mathematically inclined. If you said 1 then go back to your crossword puzzle or your "Bad Girls Club" tv show. If you said some other number then you're just being a contrarian clown, but at least you didn't say 1.

I thank you for your answers, but I think I would only be wasting your time with any more question. I think you are right I will not find anything

Maybe we will find something. But we need to know first how you got these numbers.

jbunniii said:

3, 1, 4, 1, 5, ...

If you said 9 then you might be mathematically inclined. If you said 1 then go back to your crossword puzzle or your "Bad Girls Club" tv show. If you said some other number then you're just being a contrarian clown, but at least you didn't say 1.

That's judgemental.

x_n = [1+(-1)^n]/2 + [1-(-1)^n](n+5)/4

y_n = floor( pi*10^(n-1) )
z_n = 10[ y_n/10 - floor(y_n/10) ]

To me, x is a mathematically nicer sequence than z.

jbunniii said:

3, 1, 4, 1, 5, ...

Hello,

I have found the next number to be [itex]6[/itex]. I ran these numbers through a program i made which detects patterns.

When I was in college, one teacher gave us the sequence 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 and challenged us to find the next number in the sequence. The correct answer? 22. Those are the numbers of the subway stops on his way to work. At station number 14, the train shifts to a different line.

Another popular sequence is this: Draw a circle and mark n points around the circumference of the circle- NOT equally spaced so that the lines drawn from each point to each other divide the circle into the largest possible number of areas. How many areas will that be for each n?

Whe n= 1 there is no line so only one area: a(1)= 1. When a= 2, there is one line so two areas: a(2)= 2. When n= 3, the lines form a triangle so there are the three areas outside the triangle and the area inside the triangle: a(3)= 4. When there are four points, the lines form a quadrilateral with the two diagonals- four areas inside the quadrilateral, four areas outside: a(4)= 8. When there are five points, there will be 16 areas. How many areas will there be with 5 points?

Answer: 31.

There is, in fact, a simple formula for this one: with n points, there are [tex]\begin{pmatrix}5 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}n \\ 1\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}n \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}n \\ 3\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}n \\ 4\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}n \\ 5\end{pmatrix}[/tex] areas.

oneplusone said:
I have found the next number to be [itex]6[/itex]. I ran these numbers through a program i made which detects patterns.
You should try it with the stock market!

msticky said:
Can you find the next number in a sequence

It isn't a number. This sequence is obviously generated by the sequence given by
$$a_n=\left\{\begin{matrix}0, & n=1 \\ 3, & n=2 \\ 18, & n=3 \\ 1, & n\in\{4,5,18\} \\ 13, & n=6 \\ 8, & n=7 \\ 12, & n=8 \\ 21, & n=9 \\ 5, & n\in\{10,12,16,17\} \\ 4, & n\in\{11,14\} \\ 38, & n=13 \\ 14, & n=15 \\ 6, & n=1 \\ \left\{\text{PhysicsForums is awesome}\right\}, & n\geq 20\end{matrix}\right.$$

This looks ridiculous, but there's a point to this. There isn't an actual way to predict the next number without knowing a rule by which the numbers are picked.

Last edited:
A while ago someone posted something similar about numbers in the Qur'an. This looks similar.

Related to Predict Next Number in Sequence - 4

1. What is the purpose of predicting the next number in a sequence?

Predicting the next number in a sequence can help us understand patterns and relationships between numbers. It can also be useful in solving problems in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

2. How do scientists predict the next number in a sequence?

Scientists use various methods such as mathematical algorithms, statistical analysis, and pattern recognition techniques to predict the next number in a sequence. They also take into account any known rules or patterns within the sequence.

3. Can predicting the next number in a sequence be accurate?

It depends on the complexity of the sequence and the methods used for prediction. In some cases, the prediction can be highly accurate, while in others it may only provide an estimate or a general trend.

4. Is predicting the next number in a sequence useful in real-world applications?

Yes, predicting the next number in a sequence has many practical applications. It can be used in financial forecasting, weather predictions, data analysis, and many other fields where patterns and trends need to be identified.

5. Can the prediction of the next number in a sequence be wrong?

Yes, there is always a possibility of the prediction being wrong, especially if the sequence is complex and unpredictable. It is important to carefully analyze and evaluate the data and methods used for prediction to minimize the chances of error.