Predicted Sex Ratio of Children with Lethal Sex-Linked Gene?

• Thread starter f4d_girl
  • Start date
Just think about how many of each type of offspring there are and compare that to the total number of offspring.In summary, when a man marries a woman who is heterozygous for a recessive and lethal allele of a sex-linked gene, the predicted sex ratio of their children would be 1 normal female: 1 normal male. This ratio is based on the Punette square, where 100% of normal females and 50% of normal males would be expected, while the other 50% of normal males would carry the lethal allele.
f4d_girl
7. Hand in question: Suppose that an allele, d, of a sex-linked gene is recessive and lethal. A man marries a woman who is heterozygous for this gene. If the couple had many normal children, what would be the predicted sex ratio of these children?

Female: XDXd

Male: XDY

Punette sqaure:

XD Xd
XD XD XD XD Xd
Y XD Y Xd Y

1: XD XD : 1 XD Xd : 1 XD Y : 1Xd Y

XD XD , XD Xd : 100% normal female

XD Y , Xd Y : 50% normal male, 50% letal

Physics news on Phys.org
So far your work looks fine, but they're asking for the sex ratio, which means the ratio of male:female offspring (or female:male, it doesn't matter which way you represent it, as long as you specify). You have all the information you need to find this based on the work you've already done.

male

Therefore, the predicted sex ratio of the children would be 50% normal females, 25% normal males, and 25% lethal males. This is because the heterozygous mother has a 50% chance of passing on the normal allele to her children, resulting in normal females and normal males. However, there is also a 50% chance of passing on the lethal allele to her male children, resulting in a 25% chance of having lethal males. This is a common pattern in sex-linked inheritance, where males have a higher chance of expressing recessive traits since they only have one X chromosome.

Related to Predicted Sex Ratio of Children with Lethal Sex-Linked Gene?

1. What is the purpose of a "last bio question"?

The purpose of a "last bio question" is to gather final information or details about a person's professional or personal background. It is often used in resumes, job applications, or biographies to provide a concise summary of an individual's achievements, skills, and experiences.

2. How should I structure my "last bio question"?

There is no one correct way to structure a "last bio question," as it will vary depending on the purpose and audience. However, it is generally recommended to start with a brief introduction, followed by key accomplishments and relevant experiences, and ending with a concluding statement that ties everything together.

3. What information should I include in my "last bio question"?

The information included in a "last bio question" will also depend on its purpose and audience. However, some common elements to include are educational background, relevant work experience, notable achievements or awards, skills and qualifications, and personal interests or hobbies.

4. How long should my "last bio question" be?

The length of a "last bio question" can vary, but it is generally recommended to keep it concise and to the point. It should be long enough to provide relevant information, but not too long that it becomes overwhelming or loses the reader's interest. A good rule of thumb is to aim for one to two paragraphs or around 150-200 words.

5. Can I update my "last bio question" over time?

Yes, you can and should update your "last bio question" as needed. As your experiences and achievements evolve, it is important to keep your bio current and reflective of your current skills and accomplishments. This can also be helpful when applying for new opportunities or networking with others.