Predicting Redox Reactions: Help with Lab Questions and Product Predictions

• Thread starter jrokusek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary: However, since this is a lab, there are a few things that could be exceptions. The first of these is Iron III chloride. It is a Group III metal, but it is also an oxidizing agent. Thus, it would be insoluble in aqueous solution. The second of these is Potassium iodide. It is also a Group III metal, but it is a reducing agent. Thus, it would be insoluble in aqueous solution. Lastly, Magnesium nitrate and Sodium Sulfate are both oxidizing agents, but they are not Group III metals. Thus, they would be soluble in aqueous solution.
jrokusek
Help me! Redox help, product predictions

I have a lab that we have to get a perfect score on to pass the class, and I'm so overwhelmed and confused right now I could really use some major help.

Basically we were given the names of 9 mixes, and we have to predict whether or not they will have a ppt, and if not then we have to move onto redox, see who wants electrons, who's losing them, and then write the half reactions, balance, and then find the overall Eo(volts).

So... the main ones I have trouble with are (and what I have started):

Magnesium nitrate and Sodium Sulfate
MnNO3 + Na2SO4 --> NaNO3 + MnSO4 ??

Potassium permanganate and 1.0 molar HCl
KMnO4 + 2HCl --> Cl2 + K + MnO4 + 2H ??

Potassium iodide and iron III chloride and 1 ml of petroleum ether
KI + FeCl3 --> Fe + I + KCl ??

Potassium bromide and iron III chloride and 1 ml of petroleum ether
KBr + FeCl3 --> Fe + Br + KCl ??

and Iron II sulfate (acidified with 3 drops of 6 molar sulfuric acid) and .01 molar potassium permanganate
FeSO4 + KMnO4 --> i think this neutralizes.. but i don't know

I am so swamped with homework, it would be extremely appreicated if someone could even point me in the right direction, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] KMnO_{4} [/tex] is an oxidizing agent while [tex] KI [/tex] and [tex]KBr [/tex] are reducing agents. However, when redox reactions occur, it is the [tex] MnO_{4}^- [/tex] ion that is being reduced and the [tex] I^- [/tex] and [tex] Br^- [/tex] ions that are being oxidized. Since [tex]K^+ [/tex]is just a spectator ion, my guess is it's all right to leave it out of the half equations first. Once you've finished balancing them, you can then try to see if you can re-introduce them into the overall equation (but I don't think it's absolutely neccesary). This should make your work more manageable!

Last edited:
Find a set of solubility rules should help you with the ppt part. I think MnSO4 is insoluble.
As a rule, anything with NO3 should be soluble. Things involving Cl- should be soluble, and things with Group I metals are usually soluble.

What does it mean to be in desperate need of help?

Being in desperate need of help means that one is facing a situation that they are unable to handle on their own and require assistance from others. This could be due to a variety of reasons such as physical, emotional, or financial difficulties.

What are some common signs of someone who is in desperate need of help?

Some common signs of someone who is in desperate need of help include changes in behavior, sudden mood swings, increased isolation, difficulty completing tasks, and expressing feelings of hopelessness or helplessness.

How can I provide help to someone who is in desperate need?

There are various ways to provide help to someone who is in desperate need. These include actively listening and offering emotional support, connecting them to professional resources, helping them with practical tasks, and encouraging them to seek help.

What are some resources available for those in desperate need of help?

There are many resources available for those in desperate need of help, including hotlines, support groups, counseling services, and government assistance programs. It is important to research and find the right resources that fit the specific needs of the individual.

How can I take care of my own well-being while helping someone in desperate need?

It is important to prioritize self-care while helping someone who is in desperate need. This can include setting boundaries, seeking support for yourself, practicing stress management techniques, and taking breaks when needed. It is essential to take care of yourself in order to effectively help others.