Predicting types of collisions

• B
  • Thread starter crudux_cruo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, predicting the type of collision, such as elastic vs inelastic, generally requires knowledge of the coefficient of restitution, which describes the degree of energy loss in a collision. This information is often measured rather than determined from first principles.
crudux_cruo
I've been working through Chapter 9 of Fundamentals of Physics (Center of Mass and Linear Momentum) and while I think I generally understand the different types of collisions, I notice that all of the problems state (or heavily imply) the type of collision after it has happened.

Does predicting the type of collision generally require knowing more advanced topics like material science, or am I missing something fundamental from the textbook?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What do you mean by "type of collision"? Elastic vs inelastic, or something else?

Likes crudux_cruo
Ibix said:
Welcome to PF.

What do you mean by "type of collision"? Elastic vs inelastic, or something else?

Thanks!

And yes, elastic vs inelastic. From what I understand all real life collisions are some degree of inelastic, with elastic collisions being useful mainly as an approximation.

Assuming I understand that correctly, I wanted to know what physically determined that 'degree of inelasticity'. I apologize if I am using improper or imprecise language here.

Yes, all realistic collisions involve some energy loss. I think you are correct that predicting the degree of energy loss from first principles is a hard problem. The number describing the degree of elasticity is the coefficient of restitution, which you can look up if you want. As far as I'm aware you usually just measure it for any given collision.

I appreciate the succinct response. I'm amazed I couldn't find it with a simple google search, but after doing some reading on COR the things are a fair bit more intuitive. I'm sure I'll confuse myself with it in a day or two though.

Likes Ibix
Glad to help - sometimes it's just knowing the term to look for.

Likes crudux_cruo

1. What is the purpose of predicting types of collisions?

The purpose of predicting types of collisions is to understand and anticipate the outcomes of potential collisions in order to prevent or minimize their impact. This can be applied in various fields, such as traffic safety, engineering, and physics.

2. How do scientists predict types of collisions?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to predict types of collisions. These models take into account factors such as the size, speed, and direction of the objects involved in the collision, as well as external forces such as gravity and friction.

3. What are the different types of collisions?

There are three main types of collisions: elastic, inelastic, and completely inelastic. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and some kinetic energy is lost. In a completely inelastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are lost.

4. Can types of collisions be predicted accurately?

While scientists have developed advanced models for predicting types of collisions, there are still many variables and uncertainties that can affect the accuracy of these predictions. Factors such as human error or unexpected external forces can make it difficult to accurately predict the outcome of a collision.

5. How are predictions of collisions used in real-world situations?

Predictions of collisions are used in various real-world situations, such as designing safety features for vehicles, predicting the impact of natural disasters, and understanding the behavior of particles in particle colliders. These predictions can help inform decision-making and improve safety measures to prevent or mitigate the effects of collisions.