Preparing for High School Physics Final Exam

• Thread starter supernova88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Final
In summary: Or, have them watch a video on a scientific topic. In summary, some of these activities may be more inspiring to some students than others.
supernova88
I presently teach physics to high school sophomores and we are spending the entirety of this upcoming week preparing for the final exam. However, many of my students have "checked out" and are resistant to working or studying. Review packets and problems only seem to inspire a small few students who generally want to do well on the test. Can anyone think of activities, games, or study formats which would be more inspiring for my students? I have already received some ideas to play Jeopardy or use Kahoot, but again I'm not sure how enticing that will be to the students who feel they are done working. Nevertheless, any advice will help. Thanks!

Likes ISamson
Science news on Phys.org
Give them a worksheet and tell them that some of these questions will be on the test.

My old EM prof did this. He handed out a 60 question worksheet and told us that 5 of the questions would be on the test. That focused the whole class of 12 to divide up the sheet and share our answers in a group.

jedishrfu said:
Give them a worksheet and tell them that some of these questions will be on the test.

I did that once - gave them a worksheet and told them at least one question would be taken directly from the worksheet. The test was the worksheet. I still had students who failed. And complained that the test was too tough.

Likes BvU and jedishrfu
The student group assigned me the two special relativity problems (EM 4-vector stuff) to work out for the group. To my surprise both were on the test and the remaining three were trivial. Go figure.

Last edited:
If they already have an A/B average just let them skip the final altogether? Offer an extra 10 points for completing and turning in practice tests on exam day?

Likes jedishrfu
Fervent Freyja said:
If they already have an A/B average just let them skip the final altogether? Offer an extra 10 points for completing and turning in practice tests on exam day?

Perhaps you could pair these students up with the at risk students to help them study for the test.

Fervent Freyja said:
In 25+ years of teaching, I've never done this (let them skip the final). Their grades prior to the final are typically earned on segments of the material covered - the final tests their knowledge of the course overall.

Vanadium 50 said:
I did that once - gave them a worksheet and told them at least one question would be taken directly from the worksheet. The test was the worksheet. I still had students who failed. And complained that the test was too tough.
Most likely the test-taking strategy of these students was "hope."

I wonder if they'll accept responsibility when they do poorly or if they'll blame the teacher.

My old Calculus III math professor made it clear that the student was in control of his grades during our 10 week trimester.

He graded best 7 out of 10 homeworks selectively picking problems to score for 10% of the grade. (Students never knew which ones were selected.) He gave surprise quizzes every Friday using best 7 out of 10 scores for 15% of the grade. He gave periodic tests best 3 out of 4 chosen for 75% of the grade.

Finally the student could select the final test grade weighting from 20% to 50% of the final grade chosen before you took the final.

As a student you knew where you stood and whether you should risk the 50% nuclear option. I did not.

Likes Fervent Freyja
supernova88 said:
I presently teach physics to high school sophomores and we are spending the entirety of this upcoming week preparing for the final exam. However, many of my students have "checked out" and are resistant to working or studying. Review packets and problems only seem to inspire a small few students who generally want to do well on the test. Can anyone think of activities, games, or study formats which would be more inspiring for my students? I have already received some ideas to play Jeopardy or use Kahoot, but again I'm not sure how enticing that will be to the students who feel they are done working. Nevertheless, any advice will help. Thanks!

Motivating students can be a struggle, especially at the end of a term, but here are a few strategies (many of the same tips appear on different lists)

https://www.weareteachers.com/light-a-fire-10-unconventional-ways-to-motivate-students/
http://www.teachthought.com/pedagog...21-simple-ideas-to-improve-student-motivatio/
http://busyteacher.org/6943-teachers-top-10-ways-to-motivate-students.html

From a student perspective, it may be helpful for you to 'switch things up'- get out of the semester-long routine and do something different. For example, is there a way to prepare for the final by spending a class period outside (weather permitting)? Another possibility- find some recent science-y stories reported in the local paper and spend the class period connecting the material to your class curriculum. 'Jeopardy' can be great, but it's tough to write good answers.

1. What topics should I focus on while studying for the Physics final exam?

It is important to review all the topics covered throughout the year, but some key areas to focus on include mechanics (such as Newton's laws and motion), energy and work, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics.

2. How should I prepare for the mathematical components of the exam?

Practice solving problems and equations, and make sure you understand the formulas and concepts behind them. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards with key equations and their applications.

3. Are there any online resources or practice exams I can use to study?

Yes, there are many websites and apps that offer practice questions and exams for high school physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Quizlet.

4. Should I focus more on memorizing information or understanding concepts?

It is important to have a good balance of both. While some concepts and formulas may need to be memorized, it is also crucial to understand the underlying principles and how to apply them to different problems.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for the final exam?

Create a study schedule and break down your studying into smaller, manageable chunks. Prioritize the topics you are struggling with and allocate more time to those. It can also be helpful to take breaks and stay organized with notes and study materials.