Pressure at the closed end of a pipe with a leak?

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical scenario where an air pipe is used for grasping objects through negative pressure. The pipe has a closed end, a pressure source, and an open leak in the middle. The pressure drops linearly from the source to the leak, and the pressure between the leak and closed end is constant. The second question asks about the relationship between grasping pressure and the area of the leak pipe.
Austin J
Suppose I have an air pipe that is used for "grasping" other objects using negative pressure. When an object is grasped, assume it is a perfect seal and that end of the pipe is closed. On the other end of the pipe is the pressure source creating the vacuum. Somewhere in the middle is a short, smaller arm of the pipe that is open to the air. This serves as a leak.

1.) It is my understanding that there is a linear pressure drop from the source to the leak, and that the pressure between the leak and the closed end of the pipe is constant. Is this correct?

2.) What is the relationship between the grasping pressure (i.e. the pressure at the closed end of the pipe) and the area of the leak pipe? I would like to express the pressure at the closed end of the pipe as a function of the area of the leak pipe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Austin J said:
Suppose I have an air pipe that is used for "grasping" other objects using negative pressure. When an object is grasped, assume it is a perfect seal and that end of the pipe is closed. On the other end of the pipe is the pressure source creating the vacuum. Somewhere in the middle is a short, smaller arm of the pipe that is open to the air. This serves as a leak.
1.) It is my understanding that there is a linear pressure drop from the source to the leak, and that the pressure between the leak and the closed end of the pipe is constant. Is this correct?
Within the framework of the question, "Yes."
Austin J said:
2.) What is the relationship between the grasping pressure (i.e. the pressure at the closed end of the pipe) and the area of the leak pipe? I would like to express the pressure at the closed end of the pipe as a function of the area of the leak pipe bleed rate is a function of area, length , and ... who knows.

1. What causes pressure to decrease at the closed end of a pipe with a leak?

The pressure at the closed end of a pipe with a leak decreases due to the loss of fluid through the leak. This results in a decrease in the amount of fluid pushing against the closed end, leading to a decrease in pressure.

2. How does the size of the leak affect the pressure at the closed end of the pipe?

The size of the leak directly affects the pressure at the closed end of the pipe. A larger leak will result in a greater loss of fluid and a larger decrease in pressure, while a smaller leak will have a smaller impact on the pressure.

3. Can the pressure at the closed end of the pipe be increased with a leak present?

No, the pressure at the closed end of the pipe cannot be increased with a leak present. The leak allows fluid to escape, resulting in a decrease in pressure, and cannot be reversed without fixing the leak.

4. How does the length of the pipe impact the pressure at the closed end with a leak?

The length of the pipe does not have a significant impact on the pressure at the closed end with a leak. The pressure decrease is primarily caused by the leak itself, rather than the length of the pipe.

5. Can the pressure at the closed end of the pipe with a leak be measured?

Yes, the pressure at the closed end of the pipe with a leak can be measured using a pressure gauge. This will provide a reading of the pressure inside the pipe, which will be lower due to the presence of the leak.