Pressure drop in fuel assemblies

In summary, Pressure drop across fuel rods in a pressurized water reactor can be calculated using Friction factor, Pressure drop in steam generator, and P/D ratio. The p/D ratio is important in determining allowable pressure drops for a steam generator.
sehrish shakir
Hello!
I am studying the mentioned topic I am confused in calculating the average value of friction factor in sub channels ... please help ??
thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
thank you!

can you provide me the link from where i can get the MIT exam paper to solve .. for these topics

third link is not working ...

Link working here ok .

If still not working on your computer then paste the whole link into Google . Usually works with problematic links .

again not working
time out error is displayed on screen

You must have a local problem since all links are working ok for me in UK .

What country are you in ?

I am from Pakistan

oh ok !
and its ok thank you for your kind support
best regards!

Hi, you wrote about pressure drop in fuel assemblies. But you have to specify, whether you mean pressurized water reactors (single phase flow) or boiling water reactors (two-phase flow).

In general, total fuel assembly pressure drop is formed by fuel bundle frictional drop (dependent on relative roughness of fuel rods, reynolds number, hydraulic diameter etc.) and other pressure drops of structural elements (top and bottom nozzle, spacing grids or mixing grids).

In general, it is not so simple to calculate pressure drops in fuel assemblies (especially the spacing grids) and it belongs to key know-how of certain fuel manufacturer. Mostly, pressure drops are measured in experimental hydraulic loops, rather than calculated.

If you want to know more, specify your problem. Here are some valuable sources:

Frictional losses - single phase
Pressure drop - two-phase

Likes sehrish shakir
Michal Kovac said:
Hi, you wrote about pressure drop in fuel assemblies. But you have to specify, whether you mean pressurized water reactors (single phase flow) or boiling water reactors (two-phase flow).

In general, total fuel assembly pressure drop is formed by fuel bundle frictional drop (dependent on relative roughness of fuel rods, reynolds number, hydraulic diameter etc.) and other pressure drops of structural elements (top and bottom nozzle, spacing grids or mixing grids).

In general, it is not so simple to calculate pressure drops in fuel assemblies (especially the spacing grids) and it belongs to key know-how of certain fuel manufacturer. Mostly, pressure drops are measured in experimental hydraulic loops, rather than calculated.

If you want to know more, specify your problem. Here are some valuable sources:

Frictional losses - single phase
Pressure drop - two-phase
Thank you very much for such a kind response,
i have studied these topics ... these are quite interesting ...
i am studying single phase "pressurized water reactor" ... my main focus is on the pressure drop across fuel rods and pressure drop in steam generator , i am neglecting all minor losses ... i have calculated the pressure drop with and without spacers ...and also considering the lateral flow pattern..
now i am not getting the main purpose of the coefficient calculations ... significance of "p/D" ratio ? in general how we calculate p/D ratio for triangular lattice in a cylindrical shell of steam generator ? what values of pressure drop are acceptable ... thank you in advance :)

1. What is pressure drop in fuel assemblies?

Pressure drop in fuel assemblies refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs as a fluid, such as fuel, flows through the narrow channels of a fuel assembly. This drop in pressure is caused by the resistance of the fuel assembly's internal structure and can have an impact on the overall performance and efficiency of the system.

2. What factors affect pressure drop in fuel assemblies?

Several factors can affect pressure drop in fuel assemblies, including the geometry and design of the fuel assembly, the type and viscosity of the fuel, and the flow rate of the fluid. Other factors such as temperature, surface roughness, and fuel properties can also play a role.

3. How is pressure drop measured in fuel assemblies?

Pressure drop in fuel assemblies is typically measured using pressure gauges installed at the inlet and outlet of the assembly. By subtracting the outlet pressure from the inlet pressure, the pressure drop across the assembly can be determined. This measurement is usually taken at a specific flow rate and can be used to calculate the pressure drop coefficient.

4. What are the effects of high pressure drop in fuel assemblies?

High pressure drop in fuel assemblies can lead to reduced fuel flow, increased temperature, and decreased efficiency of the system. It can also cause damage to the internal components of the fuel assembly due to the increased stress and strain on the materials. Additionally, high pressure drop can result in increased operating costs and maintenance requirements.

5. How can pressure drop in fuel assemblies be reduced?

To reduce pressure drop in fuel assemblies, several measures can be taken, such as optimizing the design of the fuel assembly to minimize resistance, using fuel with a lower viscosity, and increasing the flow rate. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the fuel assembly can also help to prevent build-up and blockages that can contribute to increased pressure drop. Proper design and operation of the fuel system are crucial in minimizing pressure drop and maintaining efficient performance.