Pressure on medium in vacuum mold - formula needed

In summary: I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but in summary, the pressure exerted on the fabric between two solid plates can be calculated using a force balancing method. The pressure will depend on the area of the plates, the pressure of the vacuum, and any additional forces such as gravity.
R_Rose
I'm a little confused as to how to figure out the pressure exerted on a material pressed between two solid "press plates" Let's say we have 2 .5" thick x 12" x 24" hardened steel plates. I have a 1" thick layer of cloth (say 50+ layers) of 8" x 18" (1ft^2).

The fabric is placed between the plates in the center, placed in a vacuum bag, and air is extracted to say 24" Hg (12psi). Now, since the area of the plates is 288in^2 but the fabric is 144 in^2, would there pressure exerted on the fabric be:
2,880 lbs (only the area of the fabric gets the pressure)?
or would it be
5,760 lbs (total psi over the entire press plate)

I'm assumming that only one side would be calculated for this application, is that correct as well?

What I'm getting confused about is if I use the same plates and use 4 C-clamps placed on the corners, say at 400lbs per clamp, wouldn't the pressure on the fabric be 1600 lbs?

Thanks for any help, I'm stuck "arguing" with someone over this, lol :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use a simple force balancing: the force from the atmosphere on a plate is given by the area of the plate. There has to be an equal force from the other side - subtract the pressure from your partial vacuum, and the remaining pressure has to come from the cloth. Include gravity if necessary.

All those weird units...

Related to Pressure on medium in vacuum mold - formula needed

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure on a medium in a vacuum mold?

The formula for calculating pressure on a medium in a vacuum mold is P= F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. This formula is known as Pascal's Law and applies to any medium, including gases and liquids, in a vacuum mold.

2. Why is it important to consider pressure when working with a vacuum mold?

Pressure plays a crucial role in the functioning of a vacuum mold. It determines the amount of force that is applied to the mold and affects the quality and consistency of the final product. Understanding and controlling pressure is essential for achieving desired results in vacuum molding processes.

3. How does the shape and size of a vacuum mold affect pressure on the medium?

The shape and size of a vacuum mold can significantly impact the pressure on the medium. A larger mold will have a larger surface area, resulting in lower pressure on the medium. On the other hand, a smaller mold will have a smaller surface area, leading to higher pressure on the medium. The shape of the mold can also affect pressure distribution, which can impact the quality of the final product.

4. Can the pressure on a medium in a vacuum mold be altered?

Yes, the pressure on a medium in a vacuum mold can be altered by adjusting the force or the surface area. Increasing the force or decreasing the surface area will result in higher pressure, while decreasing the force or increasing the surface area will lead to lower pressure. Controlling the pressure in a vacuum mold is crucial for achieving desired results in the molding process.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with pressure in a vacuum mold?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when working with pressure in a vacuum mold. It is essential to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to avoid any potential harm from the mold or material. It is also crucial to follow proper procedures and guidelines for handling and adjusting pressure to prevent accidents or injuries.