Primality Criteria for Wagstaff numbers

In summary, we discuss a conjecture regarding Wagstaff numbers of the form W_p = \frac{2^p+1}{3}, where p is a prime greater than 3. We define S_0 as a sequence with different values depending on the congruence of p modulo 4, 6, and 12. We also define a sequence S_i based on the previous sequence. The conjecture states that W_p is a prime if and only if S_{\frac{p-1}{2}} \equiv S_0 \pmod{W_p}. Further clarification is needed for the definition of S_0.
pedja
[tex]\text{Let} ~ W_p ~ \text{be a Wagstaff number of the form :} W_p = \frac{2^p+1}{3}~, \text{where}~p>3 [/tex]
[tex]\text {Let's define }~S_0~ \text{as :}[/tex]
[tex]S_0 =
\begin{cases}
3/2, & \text{if } p \equiv 1 \pmod 4 \\
11/2, & \text{if } p \equiv 1 \pmod 6 \\
27/2, & \text{if} ~p \equiv 11 \pmod {12} ~\text{and}~p \equiv 1,9 \pmod {10} \\
33/2, & \text{if}~ p \equiv 11 \pmod {12} ~\text{and}~p \equiv 3,7 \pmod {10} \\
\end{cases} [/tex]
[tex]\text{Next define sequence}~S_i~\text{as :} [/tex]
[tex]S_i =
\begin{cases}
S_0, & i=0 \\
8S^4_{i-1}-8S^2_{i-1}+1, & i>0
\end{cases}[/tex]

[tex] \text{How to prove following statement :} [/tex]
[tex]\text{Conjecture :}[/tex]
[tex]W_p=\frac{2^p+1}{3}~\text{is a prime iff}~S_{\frac{p-1}{2}} \equiv S_0 \pmod {W_p} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, pedja,
I don't have an answer, but it may be easier to get help if you can clear up a bit the definition of S_0: it's undefined for p=3, and the cases are not mutually exclusive.

Dodo said:
Hi, pedja,
I don't have an answer, but it may be easier to get help if you can clear up a bit the definition of S_0: it's undefined for p=3, and the cases are not mutually exclusive.

Hi ,
I forgot to point out that p has to be greater than three . I know that first two cases are not mutually exclusive . Both values of S_0 can be used in order to prove primality of corresponding Wagstaff number .

1. What are Wagstaff numbers?

Wagstaff numbers are a type of prime numbers that follow the form of (2^n + 1) / 3, where n is an integer. They were first discovered by mathematician Samuel Wagstaff in 1983.

2. What is the significance of Wagstaff numbers?

Wagstaff numbers have been studied extensively in number theory and have been found to have interesting properties. They are also useful in cryptography as they can be used to generate strong pseudoprimes.

3. How do you determine if a Wagstaff number is prime?

There are several primality criteria for Wagstaff numbers, the most well-known being the Lucas-Lehmer primality test. This involves checking if a sequence of numbers generated by a specific formula is divisible by the Wagstaff number in question. If the sequence reaches a certain value without being divisible, then the number is likely to be prime.

4. Are there any other known primality tests for Wagstaff numbers?

Yes, there are other tests such as the Frobenius test and the Jaeschke-Lehmer test. These tests involve checking for certain patterns in the binary representation of the Wagstaff number, and are also effective in determining primality.

5. Can Wagstaff numbers be used in cryptography?

Yes, Wagstaff numbers can be used in cryptography as they have been found to have strong pseudoprime properties. However, they are not commonly used in practical applications as they are relatively rare and difficult to generate.