Principal value of hypergeometric function

In summary: At this point, we can use the formula you mentioned in your question, i.e.:$$\frac{1}{1-tz+i\delta} = \text{P.V} \frac{1}{1-tz} -i\pi \delta(1-tz)$$to rewrite the integral in terms of the principal value. This gives us:$${}_2F_1(1,1,2+\epsilon, -\frac{\alpha}{\beta}) = \frac{\Gamma(2+\epsilon)}{\Gamma(1)\Gamma(1+\epsilon)}\left(\text{P.V}\int_0^1
CAF123
Gold Member
I am looking to write the hypergeometric function $${}_2F_1\left(1,1,2+\epsilon, -\frac{\alpha}{\beta}\right) = \int_0^1\,dt\,\frac{(1-t)^{\epsilon}}{1-tz + i\delta},$$ where ##z=-\alpha/\beta## and ##0< \beta < - \alpha##, in terms of its real and imaginary part. The ##i\delta## prescription is to shift the denominator away from the pole at ##t=1/z##. I know that $$\frac{1}{1-tz+i\delta} = \text{P.V} \frac{1}{1-tz} -i\pi \delta(1-tz)$$ so to compute the real part I am left with the problem with finding $$\text{P.V}\int_0^1\,dt\,\frac{(1-t)^{\epsilon}}{1-tz}$$ I tried writing this as $$\lim_{\tau \rightarrow 0} \left(\int_0^{1/z-\tau} + \int_{1/z+\tau}^1\right)\frac{(1-t)^{\epsilon}}{1-tz} dt$$ but I am not sure how to progress. I tried using the residue theorem and coming up with a closed contour but the limits do not extend to ##\pm \infty##. Any help would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The hypergeometric function ${}_2F_1(a,b,c,z)$ is a special function that is defined as a power series in the variable $z$ and has many applications in mathematics and physics. In your case, you are interested in writing the hypergeometric function ${}_2F_1(1,1,2+\epsilon, -\frac{\alpha}{\beta})$ in terms of its real and imaginary part.

To do this, we can use the property of the hypergeometric function that it can be expressed as an integral. In particular, we can write ${}_2F_1(a,b,c,z)$ as an integral in the following form:

$${}_2F_1(a,b,c,z) = \frac{\Gamma(c)}{\Gamma(b)\Gamma(c-b)}\int_0^1 t^{b-1}(1-t)^{c-b-1}(1-zt)^{-a} dt$$

Using this property, we can rewrite your hypergeometric function as:

$${}_2F_1(1,1,2+\epsilon, -\frac{\alpha}{\beta}) = \frac{\Gamma(2+\epsilon)}{\Gamma(1)\Gamma(1+\epsilon)}\int_0^1 t^{0}(1-t)^{\epsilon}(1+\frac{\alpha}{\beta}t)^{-1} dt$$

Now, we can use the substitution $x = 1-t$ to rewrite the integral as:

$${}_2F_1(1,1,2+\epsilon, -\frac{\alpha}{\beta}) = \frac{\Gamma(2+\epsilon)}{\Gamma(1)\Gamma(1+\epsilon)}\int_1^0 (1-x)^{1+\epsilon} (1+\frac{\alpha}{\beta}(1-x))^{-1} (-dx)$$

Note that we have changed the limits of integration and introduced a negative sign due to the change in orientation of the integration. We can simplify this further to get:

$${}_2F_1(1,1,2+\epsilon, -\frac{\alpha}{\beta}) = \frac{\Gamma(2+\epsilon)}{\Gamma(1)\Gamma(1+\epsilon)}\int_0^1 (1-x)^{1+\epsilon} (1+\

What is the principal value of a hypergeometric function?

The principal value of a hypergeometric function refers to the unique solution that is obtained by choosing a specific set of parameters within the function. This solution is often used in mathematical analysis and has applications in fields such as statistics and physics.

How is the principal value of a hypergeometric function calculated?

The principal value of a hypergeometric function is calculated using a specific set of parameters that satisfy certain conditions. These conditions include the convergence of the function and the avoidance of singularities. The calculation may involve complex mathematical techniques such as contour integration and asymptotic analysis.

What is the significance of the principal value in a hypergeometric function?

The principal value in a hypergeometric function is significant because it provides a unique solution that can be used to solve mathematical problems and model real-world phenomena. It allows for more precise and accurate calculations, and can provide insights into the behavior of the function.

How does the principal value of a hypergeometric function differ from other values?

The principal value of a hypergeometric function is different from other values because it is obtained by carefully choosing a specific set of parameters that satisfy certain conditions, as opposed to taking a general value or an average of multiple values. This unique solution allows for a more precise and targeted analysis of the function.

What are some common applications of the principal value of a hypergeometric function?

The principal value of a hypergeometric function has various applications in mathematics, statistics, physics, and other fields. It is used to solve problems involving probability distributions, differential equations, and special functions. It also has applications in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.