Probability book for basic understanding

songoku
I want to learn topics related to combinatorics, probability theory, discrete and continuous random variables, joint pdf and cdf, limit theorems and point estimation, confidence intervals and hypothesis testing.

Any recommendations for books to learn those topics? High school level or undergraduate level is good and if possible I also prefer books intended for first exposure to these lessons

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For a basic intro I'd highly recommend Morin's Probability book.

Likes songoku
Likes songoku
haushofer said:
For a basic intro I'd highly recommend Morin's Probability book.
1701136733490.png

Is that what you mean? Thanks

Thank you for all the recommendations haushofer, Frabjous, Dragon27

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What are the different types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles, experimental probability is based on data from actual experiments, and subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

4. How is probability used in everyday life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, making financial decisions, and playing games of chance. It can also be used to analyze data and make informed decisions.

5. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's outcomes, while dependent events are events where the outcome of one event affects the outcome of the other. The probability of independent events can be multiplied, while the probability of dependent events must be calculated using conditional probability.