Probability notation: question about joint and conditional probability

In summary: The probability of both coins being heads is ##P( (both coins are heads) \cap (first coin is heads) )##.
Master1022
Homework Statement
What does [itex] p(a|b, c) [\itex] mean?
Relevant Equations
Joint probability
Conditional probability
Hi,

Just a quick question about conditional and marginal probabilities notation.

Question: What does ## p(a|b, c) ## mean?
Does it mean:
1) The probability of A, given (B and C) - i.e. ## p[A | (B \cap C)] ## OR

2) The probability of (A given B) and C - i.e. ## p[(A | B) \cap C] ##

I was also wondering if there was an intuitive way to understand how to break it down, but I should probably try to understand this first.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It means the first thing. I don't even know how to interpret the second thing you wrote down.

Given a joint discrete PDF, p(x,y), I would always interpret p(x,y) as ##P((X=x) \cap (Y=y))##. I would interpret p(a|b, c) as ##P( (A=a|B=b) \cap (C=c) )##.

CORRECTION: Sorry, I forgot to do the conditional part correctly. I should have said ##P( (A=a)\cap (B=b) \cap (C=c) )/P(B=b)##

Last edited:
Thank you very much for both of your replies @Office_Shredder and @FactChecker . However, I am still slightly confused as you both said different things...

Thinking about it again, I think the first option makes sense, but just wanted to confirm.

Office_Shredder said:
It means the first thing. I don't even know how to interpret the second thing you wrote down.
FactChecker said:
Given a joint discrete PDF, p(x,y), I would always interpret p(x,y) as ##P((X=x) \cap (Y=y))##. I would interpret p(a|b, c) as ##P( (A=a|B=b) \cap (C=c) )##.

Thanks

Master1022 said:
Homework Statement:: What does ## p(a|b, c)## mean?
I would say the notation is sufficiently unusual to need a specific note in the text on how to interpret it.

• Skeptical
Likes madness
I don't understand what Fact Checker's answer means. What does it mean for A=a given B=b and for C=c unless we are assuming B=b for that second part also?

Like suppose we have two coins we flip. What is P(both coins are heads| first coin is heads, second coin is heads). How do you compute it?

Likes Master1022 and PeroK

What is joint probability?

Joint probability is a measure of the likelihood of two or more events occurring together. It is denoted by P(A and B) or P(A, B) and is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event.

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is denoted by P(A|B) and is calculated by dividing the joint probability of A and B by the probability of B.

How is joint probability different from conditional probability?

Joint probability considers the likelihood of two or more events occurring together, while conditional probability takes into account the occurrence of one event affecting the likelihood of another event.

What is the formula for calculating joint probability?

The formula for calculating joint probability is P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B).

How is probability notation used in real-world applications?

Probability notation is used in a variety of fields, including statistics, finance, and science, to make predictions and analyze data. It is used to calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring and to make informed decisions based on this information.