Probability of 2 Green Marbles

In summary, the probability of randomly selecting 2 green marbles is (8/63)(8/63)^2 which is about 0.0161.
mathdad
Gilligan has 16 green marbles, 50 blue marbles and 60 red marbles. What is the probability of randomly selecting 2 green marbles?

What is the set up?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
With or without replacement?

greg1313 said:
With or without replacement?

Can you show me with both?

Someone suggested the following set up:

16C2 ÷ 136

Is this right?

RTCNTC said:

Well, what is the probability that the first marble selected will be green? With replacement, that's also the probability that the second marble selected will be green. Then what?

Without replacement, what do we have to do to the number of marbles when we determine the probability of the second marble being green?

RTCNTC said:

16C2 ÷ 136

Is this right?

I don't see where '136' comes from. Shouldn't that be 126?

RTCNTC said:

16C2 ÷ 136

Is this right?

Well often we see "combination" notation come up but it's important to think these problems through and not just use that.

With probability type questions, we usually have this situations: \(\displaystyle \frac{\text{# of desired outcomes}}{\text{# of possible outcomes}}\). Let's start with the top half, the numerator.

1) Without replacement: For the first marble, how many choices do we have. For the second marble how many?

2) With replacement: same questions.

RTCNTC said:
Gilligan has 16 green marbles, 50 blue marbles and 60 red marbles. What is the probability of randomly selecting 2 green marbles?

What is the set up?
With replacement: there are a total of 16+ 50+ 60= 126 marbles, 16 of them green. The probability the first marble drawn is green is 16/126= 8/63. That marble is replaced so on the second draw there are still 126 marbles, 16 of them green. The probability the second marble drawn is green is also 8/63. The probability both marbles are green is (8/63)(8/63)= (8/63)^2 which is about 0.0161.

Without replacement: there are a total of 16+ 50+ 60= 126 marbles, 16 of them green. The probability the first marble drawn is green is 16/126= 8/63. That marble is not replaced so now there are 125 marbles, 15 of them green. The probability the second marble drawn is green is 15/125= 3/25. The probability both marbles are green is (8/63)(3/25) which is about 0.0152.

RTCNTC said:

16C2 ÷ 136

Is this right?

Well my questions still stand and I'm curious how you came up with this RTCNTC? :)

There is a way to write the solution in terms of combinations, but it's important to understand the concept. I'll give a hint: the total number of ways to choose ANY two marbles is 126C2, or \(\displaystyle \binom{126}{2}\). That would be the denominator in my previous post. What about the numerator?

Thank you everyone.

1. What is the probability of getting 2 green marbles in a bag with 10 total marbles?

The probability of getting 2 green marbles out of 10 total marbles is dependent on the number of green marbles in the bag. If there are 4 green marbles in the bag, the probability would be 4/10 x 3/9 = 2/15 or approximately 13.3%. This is because the probability of getting the first green marble is 4/10, and then the probability of getting a second green marble from the remaining 9 marbles is 3/9.

2. How does the probability change if the number of green marbles in the bag increases?

The probability of getting 2 green marbles increases as the number of green marbles in the bag increases. This is because there are more green marbles to choose from, making it more likely to pick 2 green marbles. For example, if there are 6 green marbles in the bag, the probability would be 6/10 x 5/9 = 1/3 or approximately 33.3%.

3. What is the probability of getting 2 green marbles if the bag contains only green marbles?

If the bag contains only green marbles, the probability of getting 2 green marbles is 100%. This is because there are no other colored marbles to choose from, so the only possible outcome is getting 2 green marbles.

4. How does the probability change if marbles are replaced after each pick?

The probability of getting 2 green marbles remains the same if marbles are replaced after each pick. This is because the probability is calculated based on the total number of marbles in the bag, not the number of marbles left after each pick. So even if a green marble is picked and then replaced, the probability of picking another green marble remains the same.

5. How does the probability change if marbles are not replaced after each pick?

The probability of getting 2 green marbles decreases if marbles are not replaced after each pick. This is because the total number of marbles in the bag decreases with each pick, making it less likely to pick 2 green marbles. For example, if a green marble is picked and not replaced, the probability of picking another green marble would be 4/9 instead of 4/10.