Probability of a Full House

In summary: It is a classic problem, and the answer is 1/2.If you want to use Bayes Theorem, it goes like this:P(first black ("FB") |second white ("SW")) = P(SW|FB)*P(FB)/(P(SW|FB)*P(FB)+P(SW|FW)*P(FW))= 1/2 * 1/3 / (1/2 * 1/3 + 1/2 * 1/2) = 1/2The problem is that you did not correctly evaluate P(SW|FB) or P(SW|FW).Here are the correct solutions:P(SW|FB) = 1/2
Tajeshwar

Homework Statement

An Urn contains two white marbles and one black marble. A marble is drawn from the Urn without replacement and put aside without my seeing it. Then a second marble is drawn, and it is white.
What is the probability that the unknown removed marble is white, and what is the probability that it is black?

p(the first marble is white∣the second marble is white)=1.0
p(the first marble is black∣the second marble is white)=0.0

p(the first marble is white∣the second marble is white)=0.6667
p(the first marble is black∣the second marble is white)=0.333

p(the first marble is white∣the second marble is white)=0.3333
p(the first marble is black∣the second marble is white)=0.6667

p (the first marble is white |the second marble is white) =.5
p(the first marble is black | the second marble is white) =.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is as follows:

P(first black ("FB") |second white ("SW")) = P(SW|FB)*P(FB)/(P(SW|FB)*P(FB)+P(SW|FW)*P(FW))

Using Bayes theorem.

This gives me = (1/2)*(1/3)/(1/6+1/3) = 0.33

Did a similar logic for P(First White|Second White) and got .66

But I am getting this question wrong when I pick the following answer:

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion is to simulate this problem experimentally. Perhaps with playing cards. Two red and one black, say.

Run through the experiment until you see what is happening. This will give you the numerical answer.

Note: this is actually a well known problem and well worth studying.

PS you can also simulate this simply by imagining running the experiment 12 times say and counting how often the first ball is white when the second ball is white.

Last edited:
What number are you using for P(SW|FB)?

Also, again, I would use a probability tree here.

Tajeshwar said:

Homework Statement

An Urn contains two white marbles and one black marble. A marble is drawn from the Urn without replacement and put aside without my seeing it. Then a second marble is drawn, and it is white.
What is the probability that the unknown removed marble is white, and what is the probability that it is black?

p(the first marble is white∣the second marble is white)=1.0
p(the first marble is black∣the second marble is white)=0.0

p(the first marble is white∣the second marble is white)=0.3333
p(the first marble is black∣the second marble is white)=0.6667

p (the first marble is white |the second marble is white) =.5
p(the first marble is black | the second marble is white) =.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is as follows:

P(first black ("FB") |second white ("SW")) = P(SW|FB)*P(FB)/(P(SW|FB)*P(FB)+P(SW|FW)*P(FW))

Using Bayes theorem.

This gives me = (1/2)*(1/3)/(1/6+1/3) = 0.33

Did a similar logic for P(First White|Second White) and got .66

But I am getting this question wrong when I pick the following answer:

Let the relevant events be W1={first is white}, B1= {first is black}, W2 = {second is white}.

Can you compute P(W1 & W2), P(B1 & W2)? If so, can you see how to get P(W2)?

Then, you ought to be able to compute P(W1|W2) and P(B1|W2).

Finally: avoid writing curtailed decimals; better to write 2/3 instead of .66 or .667. You can always round off the final answer, but it is a dangerous practice to round off too much during a series of calculations (although keeping full calculator accuracy throughout should help).

After answering post #3 to find your mistake, consider another approach:
Does the order matter? What if you draw two marbles and only later decide which is first and which is second? Does that alter the probability of two whites?

Should this not be 1/2 each?

The clue in this question is that you know that the second marbel is white. Imagine that when you pick the first marble, which you don't know and place in a black box, then second marble you pick is white. So now you are left with a marble in the urn and a marble in the black box. What is the probability that the marbel in the black box is white/black?

Hope this helps.

SrishtiSaha28 said:
Should this not be 1/2 each?
Yes.

1. What is the definition of a full house?

A full house is a poker hand that consists of three cards of the same rank and two cards of another rank. For example, three Aces and two Kings would be considered a full house.

2. What is the probability of being dealt a full house?

The probability of being dealt a full house in a standard 52-card deck is approximately 0.00144, or about 1 in 693.

3. How does the probability of a full house compare to other poker hands?

The probability of a full house is higher than that of a flush or a straight, but lower than that of four of a kind or a straight flush.

4. Can the probability of a full house be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the probability of a full house can be calculated using the formula (13 * (4 choose 3) * 12 * (4 choose 2)) / (52 choose 5), which simplifies to 0.00144.

5. Does the probability of a full house change in different variations of poker?

Yes, the probability of a full house may change in different variations of poker that use a different number of cards or have different ranking systems. It is important to familiarize yourself with the rules of the specific variation of poker you are playing to accurately calculate the probability of a full house.