Probability of Combinations and Permutations

In summary, a school debate team has 4 girls and 6 boys. A total of 3 of the team members will be chosen to participate in the district debate. The probability that 1 girl and 2 boys will be selected is 60% because 3 out of 10 (30%) of the team will be chosen to participate.
mdzvi
Hi, I'm a mom trying to help my son understand why he got answers wrong on his online math program.
He is taking Geometry, but the last unit in the class is an introduction to Probability and Statistics.

After re-reviewing the lesson and re-working the problems he got wrong, we were able to figure out most of the correct answers (however, it seems as if the big glitch is understanding when the sample space is a Combination vs a Permutation). However, we can't figure out 1 question no matter what methodology we try.

If someone could help explain the problem below, we would really appreciate it.
Also, if anyone has a suggestion for additional online learning modules that cover this topic, that would be great.
I've tried looking, but am not finding anything that explains it in a similar way to the online lesson. Thanks.

Here is the problem:

A school debate team has 4 girls and 6 boys. A total of 3 of the team members will be chosen to participate in the district debate. What is the probability that 1 girl and 2 boys will be selected?

The methodology outlined in the lesson is the following:
1) Find sample space.
2) Find number of successful outcomes.
3) Find Probability of Event = # of successful outcomes / sample space.

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, mdzvi! (Wave)

It's nice to see a parent taking an active hand in their child's education. (Yes) I will explain how I would go about answering the given question...

1.) The number of elements in the sample space is the total number $N$ of district debate team participants that can be formed by choosing 3 from the 10 members of the debate team. So, we use combinations here, since we are forming a subset:

\(\displaystyle N={10 \choose 3}=120\)

2.) To determine the number $S$ of successful outcomes, we need to look at the number $S_B$ of ways to choose 2 from the 6 boys while at the same time choosing 1 from the 4 girls, which we'll call $S_G$. We use combinations again, because we are choosing subsets:

\(\displaystyle S_B={6 \choose 2}=15\)

\(\displaystyle S_G={4 \choose 1}=4\)

Now, by the fundamental counting principle, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S=S_B\cdot S_G=15\cdot4=60\)

3.) And so, if we call $X$ the event where 2 boys and 1 girl is chosen from the 6 boys and 4 girls, then we find the probability of $X$ happening as follows:

\(\displaystyle P(X)=\frac{S}{N}=\frac{60}{120}=\frac{1}{2}\)

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
1.) The sample space is the total number $N$ of district debate team participants that can be formed by choosing 3 from the 10 members of the debate team.
More precisely, the sample space is the set of all combinations, i.e., subsets, of 3 students. The number of elements in the sample space is 120.

Edit: OK, the terminology may vary, especially since the OP wrote "# of successful outcomes / sample space", but the space is a set rather than a number in the official definition of probability space.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
More precisely, the sample space is the set of all combinations, i.e., subsets, of 3 students. The number of elements in the sample space is 120.

Edit: OK, the terminology may vary, especially since the OP wrote "# of successful outcomes / sample space", but the space is a set rather than a number in the official definition of probability space.

Yes, upon reading your post, I do recall now that the sample space is actually a set, whereas I was calling the cardinality of the sample space the sample space itself. Thank you for the clarification! (Yes)

Thank you SOOO much for the replies. Now that I see the explanation, it makes perfect sense...and I feel silly we didn't understand it before.

As I said before, this is the last unit for his Geometry class, so it's just an introduction to Probability and Statistics. Basic. Learn the formula for calculating a Permutation. Learn the formula for calculating a Combination.

I think what threw us was that this was the ONLY problem where numerator of the Probability of an Event was the product of two Combinations. Every other problem only had 1 calculation for the numerator.

Thank you again for the help! Really, so appreciated. Have a great day!

1. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations are a way to select a group of objects from a larger set without regard to order, while permutations are a way to select a group of objects from a larger set with regard to order.

2. How do you calculate the number of combinations for a given set of objects?

The formula for calculating combinations is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. For example, if you have 10 objects and want to select 3 of them, the number of combinations would be 10C3 = 10! / 3!(10-3)! = 120.

3. What is the difference between combinations with and without replacement?

Combinations with replacement allow for the same object to be chosen more than once, while combinations without replacement do not allow for repetition. For example, if you have a bag of 5 marbles and want to select 2 of them, combinations without replacement would only allow for one red marble and one blue marble, while combinations with replacement would allow for the possibility of selecting two red marbles or two blue marbles.

4. How do you calculate the number of permutations for a given set of objects?

The formula for calculating permutations is nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. For example, if you have 10 objects and want to select 3 of them, the number of permutations would be 10P3 = 10! / (10-3)! = 720.

5. Can combinations and permutations be used in real-life scenarios?

Yes, combinations and permutations are used in a variety of real-life scenarios, such as in the lottery, when calculating odds in gambling, and in genetics when determining possible genetic outcomes. They are also used in computer science and coding, as well as in everyday situations like arranging a set of books on a shelf or choosing a password with a specific number of characters.