Probability of Deck of Cards, ignoring suits

In summary, there was a discussion about calculating the possible combinations of a standard deck of 52 cards when the suits are ignored. The number 52! was mentioned, but it was clarified that this is the number of permutations, not combinations. The formula for calculating the number of combinations was then given as 52!/4!^13. An example with a deck of 8 cards with 4 aces and 4 kings was also discussed, with the formula being 8!/4!^2. The explanation for this formula is that the numerator represents all permutations of the deck, while each term of the denominator represents a permutation of cards of the same rank. It was confirmed that the formula is accurate.
Lenus
I am looking for a way of calculating the possible combinations of a standard deck of 52 cards.

I am aware of the 52! number, which is the total no of combinations 52 cards can form in a deck, but would like to know how to determine the total no of combinations if the suits are ignored.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I do not see an expression for suits in 52!

Lenus said:
the possible combinations of a standard deck of 52 cards.

Do you mean "permutations" instead of "combinations"?

Doug Huffman said:
I do not see an expression for suits in 52!

??
isnt the number of ways of arranging 52-card deck 52! ?

The cards could as well be of 52 unique words, still with no suits.

Stephen Tashi said:
Do you mean "permutations" instead of "combinations"?

Yes, in fact I do.

All I need is the way of calculating the number of ways of arranging the deck of cards without suits, i.e. Qh As 7d would be same as Qs Ad 7c.

Doug Huffman said:
The cards could as well be of 52 unique words, still with no suits.

Sure, it would be the same problem, although we need to have 13 unique words, 4 each in such a deck of 52 cards to arrive to my initial question again.

Wild guess: [itex]\frac{52!}{4!^{13}}[/itex]

mathman,

thanks and it looks like the right approach but would appreciate a little explanation, please.
As an example, how would that formula be transformed for the deck of 8 cards with 4 aces and 4 kings?

would that be 8!/4!^2?

Last edited:
Lenus said:
mathman,

thanks and it looks like the right approach but would appreciate a little explanation, please.
As an example, how would that formula be transformed for the deck of 8 cards with 4 aces and 4 kings?

would that be 8!/4!^2?
Yes. Numerator is all permutations of deck. Each term of denominator is permutation of cards of the same rank.

I have manually double-checked the result from the formula for the deck of 8 and it is just spot on!

Appreciate your help, thanks a lot!

What is the probability of drawing a specific card from a standard deck?

The probability of drawing a specific card from a standard deck is 1/52 or approximately 1.9%.

What is the probability of drawing a face card from a standard deck?

The probability of drawing a face card (Jack, Queen, or King) from a standard deck is 3/13 or approximately 23.1%.

What is the probability of drawing a red card from a standard deck?

The probability of drawing a red card (heart or diamond) from a standard deck is 26/52 or 50%.

What is the probability of drawing a black card from a standard deck?

The probability of drawing a black card (spade or club) from a standard deck is also 26/52 or 50%.

What is the probability of drawing a number card from a standard deck?

The probability of drawing a number card (2-10) from a standard deck is 36/52 or approximately 69.2%.