Probability of Getting 1 Red Ball from Bag of 3 Reds, 2 Greens, 1 Blue

Now add them up to get P(exactly one red in two moves)=3/10+3/10=3/5, which is the desired answer.Hope this helps!In summary, the probability of getting exactly one red ball when drawing two balls out of a bag containing 3 red balls, 2 green, and 1 blue at random and without replacement is 3/5 or 60%. This can be calculated by considering the possible scenarios and using the formula P(exactly one red in two moves)=P(red in first, no red in second)+P(no red in first, red in second), which yields a probability of 3/10 for each case.
sdlisa

Homework Statement

An experiment consists of drawing two balls out of a bag containing 3 red balls, 2 green, and 1 blue at random and without replacement. Figure out the probability of getting exactly one red ball.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote down all the possible scenarios I could think of and I came out with:
RG, RB, RR, GR, GB, GG, BR, BG
So I thought the answer was 4/8 or .50%

Then I thought but BR=RB and BG=GB and GR=RG so then i eliminated those and thought the answer was 2/5.

The answer given is 3/5 or 60%

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
sdlisa said:

Homework Statement

An experiment consists of drawing two balls out of a bag containing 3 red balls, 2 green, and 1 blue at random and without replacement. Figure out the probability of getting exactly one red ball.

Then I thought but BR=RB and BG=GB and GR=RG so then i eliminated those and thought the answer was 2/5.

Why? Here you have two choices BR and GR, but above you also have RR. That's 3/5...

You have three red and three non-red balls. It doesn't matter what the other colors are.

Initially:
RRRNNN
(N= non red)

After one ball is drawn

50% (R)RRNNN, 50% RRR(N)NN

You should be able to get it from here. Consider the 4 possibilities for two balls being drawn.

It asks for the probability of exactly one red ball, so RR wouldn't be an option, right?

The four possibilities i come up with is;
3 Red 3 Non red

RN
RR
NR
NN

isn't that 2/4 or 1/2

I'm missing something here...

OK, another hint.

After one ball is drawn
50% (R)RRNNN, 50% RRR(N)NN

In the first case you're left with RRNNN. That means there's only a 40% chance to draw a second red (2 red out of 5 balls).

So
(R)[R]RNNN=50%*40%=20%
where ()=first ball []=second ball
(The 50% comes from the prob. of drawing the first red).

There are three other possibilities to consider.

(Sorry for my weird notation)

okay so now we have 1/5 for the first possibility.
Are the other possibilities:
1. if you pull a non-red ball first and then another non-red ball second
which will yield another 1/5 just like above.
2. if you pull a non-red ball first and then a red ball second, which will also yield 1/5

do you then add those up to get the 3/5?

It's not entirely making sense to me because you stated there were 3 other possibilities. Also, by doing it this way it seems like we are factoring the possibility of getting two red balls and not just one.

Here's another one of the 4 branches...

The initial distribution is RRRNNN
50 % probability of N first
This leaves RRRNN
60 % probability (once N is picked first) of picking R second.

60% of 50 % = 30%

Out of the 4 branches, 2 of them correspond to one R out of two picks.

(I'm trying hard not to do the whole problem for you. The book answer is correct. The total probability is 60%)

Answer: P(Red and not Red)+P(not Red and Red) = 3/6 x 3/5 + 3/6 x 3/5 = 3/5

sdlisa said:

Homework Statement

Just a note to help you with your intuition:

Suppose there were 500 red balls and 2 blue balls.
Would you suggest that since the possibilities are RR, RB, BR, or BB that the probability of getting exactly one red ball is 50%?
Remember, each of those possibilities (and in your first post) don't have the same probability of occurring.

Try to think as follows:

P(exactly one red in two moves)=P(red in first, no red in second)+P(no red in first, red in second)

Now, try to determine P(red in first, no red in second)and P(no red in first, red in second):

P(red in first, no red in second)=P(red in first)*P(no red in second, given that you drew red in first)=(3/6)*(3/5)=3/10

Make a similar calculation for the other probability.

What is the probability of getting 1 red ball from a bag of 3 reds, 2 greens, and 1 blue?

The probability of getting 1 red ball from this bag can be calculated by dividing the number of red balls (3) by the total number of balls in the bag (6). So the probability is 3/6 or 1/2.

How many total balls are in the bag?

There are 6 balls in the bag - 3 red, 2 green, and 1 blue.

What is the probability of not getting a red ball from the bag?

The probability of not getting a red ball can be calculated by dividing the number of non-red balls (2 green + 1 blue = 3) by the total number of balls in the bag (6). So the probability is 3/6 or 1/2.

If I draw 2 balls from the bag, what is the probability that both balls will be red?

The probability of drawing 2 red balls from the bag can be calculated by multiplying the probability of getting a red ball on the first draw (3/6 or 1/2) by the probability of getting a red ball on the second draw (2/5). So the probability is (1/2)*(2/5) = 1/5.

If I draw 3 balls from the bag, what is the probability that at least one ball will be green?

The probability of drawing at least one green ball can be calculated by subtracting the probability of drawing 3 red balls (0) from 1. So the probability is 1 - 0 = 1. This means that there is a 100% chance of drawing at least one green ball when drawing 3 balls from the bag.