Probability of normally distributed life lengths

In summary, there is a .15 probability that the mean life of the standard bulbs will be greater than the mean life of the new bulbs.
boneill3

Homework Statement

A standard light bulb is claimed to have a lifelength of 8000 hours with standard deviation of 800 hours.
A newly designed light bulb is claimed to have a life length of 9200 hours with a standard deviation of 600 hours

Homework Equations

If 36 standard and 36 newly designed bulbs are tested what is the probability that the mean lifelength of the standard bulbs will be greater than the mean lifelength of the newly designed bulbs.

[itex]
z = \frac{X-\mu}{\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the sample size is greater than 30, the central limit theorem can be used

[itex]
z = \frac{X-\mu}{\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}}
[/itex]

We have [itex]\sigma [/itex] = 600
n = 36
[itex]\mu [/itex]= 9200 ( the mean of the newly designed bulbs.)
X = 8000 ( the mean of the standard bulbs.)

Putting those into the formula we get:

[itex]
z = \frac{8000-9200}{\frac{\600}{\sqrt{36}}}
[/itex]

[itex]
z = \frac{8000-9200}{\frac{400}{3}}
[/itex]

= -1

which -1 standard deviations from mean so equates to aprroximately .85 on the normal distribution.

So the probability that the mean lifelength of the standard bulbs will be greater than the mean lifelength of the newly designed bulbs.

equals 1-0.85 = .15

How does that look ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your work is correct at all. You are treating the problem as if you had one population of light bulbs, but clearly there are two, each with its own std. dev., and possibly its own mean (which is what you are testing).

This are the hypotheses I believe you need to test:

H0: [itex]\mu_Y = \mu_X[/itex]
H1: [itex]\mu_Y > \mu_X[/itex]

where X represents the lifetimes of the older bulbs, and Y represents the lifetimes of the redesigned bulbs.

The statistic to work with is
[tex]
Z = \frac{\overline{Y} - \overline{X} - (\mu_Y - \mu_X)}{\sqrt{\frac{\sigma_Y^2}{n} + \frac{\sigma_X^2}{m}}}
[/tex]

In the formula you gave

[tex]Z = \frac{\overline{Y} - \overline{X} - (\mu_Y - \mu_X)}{\sqrt{\frac{\sigma_Y^2}{n} + \frac{\sigma_X^2}{m}}}[/tex]

You are using the sample mean of X and Y [itex] \overline{Y}\text{ and } \overline{X}[/itex]

How would I calculate those values?

I have
[itex]
\mu Y = 9200 [/itex]

[itex]\mu X = 8000[/itex]

[itex]\sigma_Y^2 = 600^2[/itex]

[itex]\sigma_X^2 = 800^2[/itex]

[itex]n = 36[/itex]

[itex]
m = 36
[/itex]
regards

You raise a good point. On second thought, I take back what I said, and agree with your approach, with this change:
X = 9200, and [itex]\mu[/itex] = 8000. You should get a positive value for z.

Is there some information about the confidence level given in the problem, that you didn't show?

I don't think this is a hypothesis question at all.
You can use the CLT to work out the distribution for the mean life of the standard bulb, and also for the mean life of the new bulb.
You now have two new normal distributions - I'll call them S for the standard, N for the new.
Since they correspond to two different populations, it is safe to assume they are independent: you need to calculate
[tex]
\Pr(S -N > 0)
[/tex]

("what is the probability the mean life of the standard bulbs exceeds the mean life of the new bulbs?)

Since S and N are independent, [tex] S - N [/tex] also is normally distributed, and you can find the desired probability quite easily.

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a probability distribution that is symmetric and bell-shaped. It is characterized by a mean and standard deviation, and many natural phenomena follow this distribution.

How is the probability of normally distributed life lengths calculated?

The probability of normally distributed life lengths is calculated using the formula for the normal distribution, which takes into account the mean, standard deviation, and the specific value of interest.

What factors can affect the probability of normally distributed life lengths?

The probability of normally distributed life lengths can be affected by various factors such as genetic predisposition, environmental factors, and lifestyle choices.

Can the probability of normally distributed life lengths change over time?

Yes, the probability of normally distributed life lengths can change over time as new data and research becomes available. It is important to regularly update and refine our understanding of this probability.

How can the concept of normally distributed life lengths be applied in real life?

The concept of normally distributed life lengths can be applied in various fields such as healthcare, insurance, and finance. It can help in predicting the likelihood of certain events or outcomes based on statistical analysis.