Probability of Poisson event happening twice, consecutively

In summary, Ray is asking for help to find the probability of getting at least 3 calls in a minute, and suggests using a cumulative distribution function.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

The number of telephone calls, T, received each minute can be modeled by a Poisson distribution with a mean of 3.5.

Find the probability that at least three telephone calls are received in each of two successive one-minute intervals.

Homework Equations

[itex] P = \frac{e^{-μ}μ^x}{x} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that I can calculate the probability of getting three phone calls during one minute using [itex] \frac{e^{-μ}μ^x}{x} = \frac{e^{-3.5}3.5^3}{3} [/itex] (or, more simply, by using a calculator), but I don't currently have any intuition on how to find the probability of finding the probability of this happening twice, consecutively. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to think about this in order to arrive at an answer? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:

Homework Statement

The number of telephone calls, T, received each minute can be modeled by a Poisson distribution with a mean of 3.5.

Find the probability that at least three telephone calls are received in each of two successive one-minute intervals.

Homework Equations

[itex] P = \frac{e^{-μ}μ^x}{x} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that I can calculate the probability of getting three phone calls during one minute using [itex] \frac{e^{-μ}μ^x}{x} = \frac{e^{-3.5}3.5^3}{3} [/itex] (or, more simply, by using a calculator), but I don't currently have any intuition on how to find the probability of finding the probability of this happening twice, consecutively. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to think about this in order to arrive at an answer? Thanks!

You are not asked about 3 calls in each minute; you are asked about at least 3 calls in each minute; that is, in each minute the number of calls is 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or ... .

After you have addressed Ray's point, consider whether the two events (calls in first minute, calls in second minute) are independent or correlated.

Ray Vickson said:
You are not asked about 3 calls in each minute; you are asked about at least 3 calls in each minute; that is, in each minute the number of calls is 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or ... .

Thanks, looks like I read the question a little too quickly. Anyhow, at least 3 just changes it to a cumulative distribution function, right?

haruspex said:
After you have addressed Ray's point, consider whether the two events (calls in first minute, calls in second minute) are independent or correlated.

It would appear that the events are independent. Based on the old example of tossing a coin, I'd guess that I find the probability of getting at least 3 calls, and square it?

cmkluza said:
Thanks, looks like I read the question a little too quickly. Anyhow, at least 3 just changes it to a cumulative distribution function, right?
It would appear that the events are independent. Based on the old example of tossing a coin, I'd guess that I find the probability of getting at least 3 calls, and square it?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the probability of a Poisson event happening twice in a row?

The probability of a Poisson event happening twice in a row is equal to the square of the probability of the event happening once. This means that if the probability of the event happening once is p, then the probability of it happening twice in a row is p^2.

2. How is the probability of a Poisson event calculated?

The probability of a Poisson event can be calculated using the Poisson distribution formula, which takes into account the average rate of occurrence (λ) and the number of events (k) that are being considered. The formula is P(k) = (λ^k * e^(-λ)) / k!, where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

3. Can the probability of a Poisson event happening twice in a row be greater than 1?

No, the probability of an event happening cannot be greater than 1. This means that the probability of a Poisson event happening twice in a row cannot be greater than 1, as it is the square of the probability of the event happening once. If the calculated probability is greater than 1, it is likely that an error has been made in the calculation.

4. Does the probability of a Poisson event happening twice in a row change if the rate of occurrence changes?

Yes, the probability of a Poisson event happening twice in a row changes if the rate of occurrence (λ) changes. This is because the probability calculation takes into account the rate of occurrence, and a higher rate of occurrence will result in a higher probability of the event happening twice in a row.

5. Can the probability of a Poisson event happening twice in a row be used to predict future events?

No, the probability of a Poisson event happening twice in a row is based on past events and does not take into account any external factors that may affect the occurrence of the event. As such, it cannot be used to predict future events with certainty.