Probability of winning dice game

In summary, the equation is a way of calculating the probability of something happening, given that something has already happened.
TheFallen018
Hey, so I've got this problem that I'm trying to figure out. I've worked out something that I think is probably right through simulation, but I'm not really sure how to tackle it from a purely mathematical probability perspective. So, would anyone know how I should approach this? I've tried a few different things, but my two answers tend to conflict a little. Thanks,

View attachment 8168

Attachments

• Screenshot_12.jpg
    Screenshot_12.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 73
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The starting point (which I guess you already know) is to make a list of the probabilities $p(x)$ of rolling a total of $x$ with the two dice, where $x$ goes from $2$ to $12$. These are $$\begin{array}{r|ccccccccccc}x& 2&3&4&5&6 &7&8&9&10 &11&12\\ \hline p(x) & \frac1{36} & \frac2{36} & \frac3{36} & \frac4{36} & \frac5{36} & \frac6{36} & \frac5{36} & \frac4{36} & \frac3{36} & \frac2{36} & \frac1{36} \end{array}.$$

The probability of an immediate win on the first roll is $p(7)+p(11)$. To win at a later stage, you first need to roll an $x$ (where $x$ is $4,5,6,8,9$ or $10$). You then need to roll another $x$ before rolling a $7$. The probability of those two things happening is $p(x)\dfrac{p(x)}{p(x)+p(7)}$. Putting in the numbers, and adding the various probabilities, I get the overall probability of a win to be $\dfrac{244}{495} \approx 0.49292929\ldots$.

Opalg said:
The starting point (which I guess you already know) is to make a list of the probabilities $p(x)$ of rolling a total of $x$ with the two dice, where $x$ goes from $2$ to $12$. These are $$\begin{array}{r|ccccccccccc}x& 2&3&4&5&6 &7&8&9&10 &11&12\\ \hline p(x) & \frac1{36} & \frac2{36} & \frac3{36} & \frac4{36} & \frac5{36} & \frac6{36} & \frac5{36} & \frac4{36} & \frac3{36} & \frac2{36} & \frac1{36} \end{array}.$$

The probability of an immediate win on the first roll is $p(7)+p(11)$. To win at a later stage, you first need to roll an $x$ (where $x$ is $4,5,6,8,9$ or $10$). You then need to roll another $x$ before rolling a $7$. The probability of those two things happening is $p(x)\dfrac{p(x)}{p(x)+p(7)}$. Putting in the numbers, and adding the various probabilities, I get the overall probability of a win to be $\dfrac{244}{495} \approx 0.49292929\ldots$.

Wow, that works really well. I thought it was going to be much more complicated and messy than that, which is a beautiful solution. I'm curious though, is that equation $p(x)\dfrac{p(x)}{p(x)+p(7)}$ something that you derived for this, or is this a standard formula for similar problems.If it's something that you derived, would you be able to explain how you came up with it? If it's a standard equation, would you happen to know it's name? I'd love to understand better how and why it works. Thanks

TheFallen018 said:
Wow, that works really well. I thought it was going to be much more complicated and messy than that, which is a beautiful solution. I'm curious though, is that equation $p(x)\dfrac{p(x)}{p(x)+p(7)}$ something that you derived for this, or is this a standard formula for similar problems.If it's something that you derived, would you be able to explain how you came up with it? If it's a standard equation, would you happen to know it's name? I'd love to understand better how and why it works. Thanks
In the expression ${\color {red} p(x)}{\color {green}\dfrac{p(x)}{p(x)+p(7)}}$, the red $\color {red} p(x)$ gives the probability that the first roll of the dice gives the value $x$. The green fraction represents the probability of rolling $x$ again before rolling a $7$. My argument for that is that after rolling the first $x$, you can completely disregard any subsequent rolls until either an $x$ or a $7$ turns up. The only question is, which one of those will appear first. The relative probabilities of $x$ and $7$ are in the proportion $p(x)$ to $p(7)$. So out of a combined probability of $p(x) + p(7)$, the probability of an $x$ is $\dfrac{p(x)}{p(x)+p(7)}$, and the probability of a $7$ is $\dfrac{p(7)}{p(x)+p(7)}$.

I hope that makes sense.

What is the probability of winning a dice game?

The probability of winning a dice game depends on the specific rules and conditions of the game. For a standard six-sided dice, the probability of winning is 1 in 6, or approximately 16.67%.

How do you calculate the probability of winning a dice game?

To calculate the probability of winning a dice game, you need to know the total number of possible outcomes and the number of desired outcomes. The probability is then calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

Does the number of dice used in a game affect the probability of winning?

Yes, the number of dice used in a game can affect the probability of winning. For example, if you are rolling two dice, the probability of getting a specific number is higher than if you were only rolling one die.

What strategies can increase the probability of winning a dice game?

There are no guaranteed strategies to increase the probability of winning a dice game, as it is ultimately a game of chance. However, some players believe that certain dice-rolling techniques or lucky rituals can improve their chances of winning.

Can the probability of winning a dice game be manipulated?

No, the probability of winning a dice game cannot be manipulated. As long as the dice are fair and the game has been properly designed, the probability of winning remains the same for each roll.