Probability Wave Function

In summary, the most probable distance of the electron from the nucleus of a ground state hydrogen atom is a_0, the Bohr radius for Hydrogen.
Dethrone
I am trying to find the most probably distance of the electron from the nucleus of a ground state hydrogen atom. The wave function is given as the following:

$$\psi_{1,0,0}(r,\theta,\Phi)=R_{1,0}(r) \cdot Y_{1,0}(\theta, \Phi)$$
I remember that the probability function is $\psi^2$, but why do we differentiate $r^2\psi^2$ to find the most probable distance? Where is the $r^2$ term coming from?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
I am trying to find the most probably distance of the electron from the nucleus of a ground state hydrogen atom. The wave function is given as the following:

$$\psi_{1,0,0}(r,\theta,\Phi)=R_{1,0}(r) \cdot Y_{1,0}(\theta, \Phi)$$
I remember that the probability function is $\psi^2$, but why do we differentiate $r^2\psi^2$ to find the most probable distance? Where is the $r^2$ term coming from?
The probability of an electron to be in the domain r to r + dr is given by \(\displaystyle |R_{10}|^2 r^2~dr\). The \(\displaystyle r^2\) comes from the volume element \(\displaystyle r^2~sin^2( \theta ) ~dr~d \theta~d \phi\). The angular variables do not contribute to the answer so they are suppressed. The most probable position then, is given by \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dr} \left ( |R_{10}|^2 r^2 \right ) = 0\).

As a check on your answer the most probable position for the electron is \(\displaystyle a_0\), the Bohr radius for Hydrogen.

-Dan

I see...

so $r^2\psi^2$ can be simplified to $r^2{R_{10}}^2$? Also, on one of my prof's slides, he says that the probability of finding an electron in a small volume centered around a point in space is $\psi^2 \Delta V$...is that also another valid equation to use?
Lastly, can you elaborate on $\displaystyle r^2~sin^2( \theta ) ~dr~d \theta~d \phi$? :D

Rido12 said:
I see...

so $r^2\psi^2$ can be simplified to $r^2{R_{10}}^2$? Also, on one of my prof's slides, he says that the probability of finding an electron in a small volume centered around a point in space is $\psi^2 \Delta V$...is that also another valid equation to use?
Lastly, can you elaborate on $\displaystyle r^2~sin^2( \theta ) ~dr~d \theta~d \phi$? :D
Okay, the full version.

First off: dV is the infinitesimal volume element and since we are in spherical coordinates we have \(\displaystyle dV = r^2~sin^2( \theta )~dr ~d \theta~d \phi\). I only did a brief web search but here's a good page. It might be a little bit over the top depending on what Math you've had before, but it's all in there at least.

The probability of finding a particle in a (spherical) region with a domain r and r + dr is \(\displaystyle \psi_{100}^* \psi_{100}~dV = \psi_{100}^* \psi_{100}~r^2~sin^2( \theta)~dr~d \theta ~d \phi\)

So the most likely r value can be found by
\(\displaystyle 0 = \frac{d}{dr} \left [ \psi_{100}^* \psi_{100}~r^2~sin^2( \theta)~dr~d \theta ~d \phi \right ] \)

\(\displaystyle 0 = \frac{d}{dr} \left [ \left ( r^2 |R_{10}|^2 \right ) \left ( |Y_{00}|^2~sin^2( \theta )~ d \theta ~d\phi \right ) \right ]\)

\(\displaystyle 0 = \frac{d}{dr} \left [ r^2 |R_{10}|^2 \right ] \)

-Dan

Excellent! Can you explain to me the difference between $\psi_{100}^*$ and $ \psi_{100}$? Also, I recall reading that $\psi^2$ was the probability function, so what is the difference between that and $\psi_{100}^* \psi_{100}dV$.

Rido12 said:
Excellent! Can you explain to me the difference between $\psi_{100}^*$ and $ \psi_{100}$? Also, I recall reading that $\psi^2$ was the probability function, so what is the difference between that and $\psi_{100}^* \psi_{100}dV$.
\(\displaystyle \psi ^*\) is the complex conjugate of \(\displaystyle \psi\). The probability concept is that \(\displaystyle \int \psi^*(x) \psi (x)~dV = 1\). The complex conjugate is important since most wavefunctions have some kind of complex number in them, usually related to a phase. Note that \(\displaystyle \psi ^*(x) \psi (x) \equiv | \psi (x)|^2\) which is not the same as \(\displaystyle \psi ^2(x)\) in general.

In this problem it so happens that \(\displaystyle \psi _{100}\) is real so there is no difference between \(\displaystyle | \psi (x) |^2\) and \(\displaystyle \psi ^2(x)\).

-Dan

Okay! I understand. Do you have any textbook recommendations for learning this kind of stuff? :D I do not believe my first year chem. book is adequate...

Rido12 said:
Okay! I understand. Do you have any textbook recommendations for learning this kind of stuff? :D I do not believe my first year chem. book is adequate...
1st year Chem is doing explicit Schrodinger equation solutions for Hydrogenic atoms?? Dear God, no wonder you are confused. I'd recommend Griffiths "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" but it's going to require Differential Equations and at least Intro Electricity and Magnetism.

Give your Chem teacher a kick for me.

-Dan

Related to Probability Wave Function

1. What is a probability wave function?

A probability wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a physical system. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state or location, rather than its exact position or momentum.

2. How is a probability wave function different from a classical wave?

A probability wave function is different from a classical wave in that it does not represent a physical wave in space. Instead, it represents the probability distribution of a particle's location or state.

3. What does the collapse of a probability wave function mean?

The collapse of a probability wave function refers to the sudden and unpredictable reduction of the range of possible outcomes to a single, definite outcome when a measurement is made on the system. This is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and reflects the probabilistic nature of the quantum world.

4. Can a probability wave function be visualized?

No, a probability wave function cannot be visualized as it is an abstract mathematical concept that describes the behavior of particles at a quantum level. However, it can be represented graphically as a wave-like function that shows the probability of finding a particle at different locations.

5. How is the probability wave function used in quantum mechanics?

The probability wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probabilities of various outcomes for a given physical system. It is used to describe the behavior of particles at a quantum level and plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.