Problem-Solving Strategy for Dynamics Problems

In summary, it is recommended to use this strategy for dynamics problems, which involves citing sources and following a problem-solving process. This can save time and help avoid mistakes. Additionally, it is important to list inputs and expected outputs, as well as citing references for equations. These practices are also applicable in engineering and scientific work.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
I would highly recommend this to your attention. It can save you hours of frustration in solving problems. Note, however, that not every part necessarily applies to every problem.

View attachment Problem Solving Strategy.pdf

As per the discussion below, it is incumbent upon me to cite sources. This pdf was one I created from a combination of sources. The sole written source was Young and Freedman's University Physics. Other sources are verbal, from teachers, and my own experience.

For dynamics problems in particular, here is a tailored Problem-Solving Strategy.

View attachment Mechanics Problem-Solving Strategy.pdf

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes Juanda and homeworkhelpls
Mathematics news on Phys.org
When my colleagues and I solved a homework problem, we were required to state the problem as a demonstration that we understood the problem. Then we'd write the relevant equations, and inputs, and expected output. Again, the objective is to demonstrate that one understands the problem and the related physics and mathematics.

Then we'd write the solution, which could be the equation or set of equations, i.e., showing the work, so that the grader (grad student or professor) could understand how the problem was solved, or if there is an error, the grader could indicate the mistake.

Such a process is used much the same way in performing design or analysis calculations at work. If one uses a commercial program, usually one lists inputs and expected outputs. The inputs are listed with their source. Unless equations are very obvious (basic math), references (e.g., journal articles, handbooks, a standard or code (e.g., ASME code)) are cited with each equation.

Good engineering/scientific practices apply.

Likes SolarisOne, chwala and Greg Bernhardt