Problem understanding mathematical argumentation

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary: No. Let's start from the other end.f(x + 1/x) = (x + 1/x)2, which is what you have.But (x + 1/x)2 = x2 + 2 * x * 1/x + 1/x2 = x2 + 2 + 1/x2 = f(x) + 2 + f(1/x)The last expression is not equal to either y + 1/y or f(x) + f(1/x).
christian0710
Hi, my Calculus book (Elementary Calculus an Infinitesimal approach) uses a mathematical argument, and I'm not sure if it's correct so i thought i wuold check with you guys :)

When the book want's to find the derivative of f(x)=x^2 the books starts like this

y=x2
Δy +y = (x + Δx)2

So my question is this: Is it mathematically correct to write
Δy+y = (x + Δx)2.

To me it looks more like the left side should translate into a right side that looks like this
Δy+y = x2 + (Δx)2

I'm asuming that Δy+y translates into f(Δx+x) and not f(x)+f(Δx) but to me it looks as if Δy+y is f(x)+f(Δx) which is not the same as f(Δx+x)

If the above is true, does that mean that this is also true?

if y=x2 then.
y=x2
y+1/y = (x+1/x)2 and would this be the same as f(x+1/x)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, here x2 is a function of x
That is y=f(x)=x2

christian0710 said:
Hi, my Calculus book (Elementary Calculus an Infinitesimal approach) uses a mathematical argument, and I'm not sure if it's correct so i thought i wuold check with you guys :)

When the book want's to find the derivative of f(x)=x^2 the books starts like this

y=x2
Δy +y = (x + Δx)2

So my question is this: Is it mathematically correct to write
Δy+y = (x + Δx)2.
Yes.
christian0710 said:
To me it looks more like the left side should translate into a right side that looks like this
Δy+y = x2 + (Δx)2
No, not at all. ##(x + \Delta x)^2 = x^2 + 2x\Delta x + (\Delta x)^2##, not x2 + (Δx)2 as you have.
christian0710 said:
I'm asuming that Δy+y translates into f(Δx+x) and not f(x)+f(Δx) but to me it looks as if Δy+y is f(x)+f(Δx) which is not the same as f(Δx+x)
Δy+y = f(Δx+x) ≠ f(Δx) + f(x).
You are mistakenly thinking that the distributive property applies here, which it does not.
The distributive property applies when you multiply a sum of numbers, as in a(b + c) = ab + ac. It does NOT apply to functions, in general. For example, ##\sqrt{a + b} \neq \sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}##, and ##\sin(x + y) \neq \sin(x) + \sin(y)##.
christian0710 said:
If the above is true, does that mean that this is also true?

if y=x2 then.
y=x2
y+1/y = (x+1/x)2 and would this be the same as f(x+1/x)?
Let's define y = f(x) = x2

What is y + 1/y?
What is f(x + 1/x)?
Are they equal?

Likes christian0710 and fireflies
Del means something like a little change of..

So here a little change of x is added. For example, when you put x=2 then y = 4,
With a little change in x like del x=1 then x will be equal to 5, and y will be equal to 52=25, not (4)2+(1)2

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Yes.
No, not at all. ##(x + \Delta x)^2 = x^2 + 2x\Delta x + (\Delta x)^2##, not x2 + (Δx)2 as you have.
Δy+y = f(Δx+x) ≠ f(Δx) + f(x).
You are mistakenly thinking that the distributive property applies here, which it does not.
The distributive property applies when you multiply a sum of numbers, as in a(b + c) = ab + ac. It does NOT apply to functions, in general. For example, ##\sqrt{a + b} \neq \sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}##, and ##\sin(x + y) \neq \sin(x) + \sin(y)##.

Let's define y = f(x) = x2

What is y + 1/y?
What is f(x + 1/x)?
Are they equal?

Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it. So to answer your question:
if y = f(x) = x2
Then y+1/y = (x+1/x)^2 which is the same as f(x+1/x) Correct?

So if i take f(f(x+1/x)) is it then the same as f(x+1/x) = (x+1/x)^2 ? or is it ( (x+1/x)+1/(x+1/x))2?

christian0710 said:
Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it. So to answer your question:
if y = f(x) = x2
Then y+1/y = (x+1/x)^2 which is the same as f(x+1/x) Correct?
No. Let's start from the other end.
f(x + 1/x) = (x + 1/x)2, which is what you have.
But (x + 1/x)2 = x2 + 2 * x * 1/x + 1/x2 = x2 + 2 + 1/x2 = f(x) + 2 + f(1/x)

The last expression is not equal to either y + 1/y or f(x) + f(1/x).
christian0710 said:
So if i take f(f(x+1/x)) is it then the same as f(x+1/x) = (x+1/x)^2 ? or is it ( (x+1/x)+1/(x+1/x))2?

Likes christian0710
Mark44 said:
No. Let's start from the other end.
f(x + 1/x) = (x + 1/x)2, which is what you have.
But (x + 1/x)2 = x2 + 2 * x * 1/x + 1/x2 = x2 + 2 + 1/x2 = f(x) + 2 + f(1/x)

The last expression is not equal to either y + 1/y or f(x) + f(1/x).

Then I think I'm misunderstanding one very important thing, so let's see where my logic is wrong:

Above we agreed that
Δy+y = f(Δx+x), So i assume this means "So if you add some y or Δy or 1/y to the left side it's the same as putting it into the f(x) operator, so if the left side says
Δy+Δy+y then this is equal to f(Δx+Δx+y) and therefor it should also be true that y+1/y = f(x+1/x) So I'm erroneously treating Δy like y?Just to make sure, could this be one of my wrong ways of thinking ?
If f(x)=y=1/x then
y+Δy = 1((x+Δx) which is true BUT now I'm erroneously thinking that if you put something on the left side, it goes into the "x" on the right side, and therefore:
y+y = 1/(x+x) (I think I'm treating γ like Δy) while in fact it should be y+y = 1/x+1/x =2/x

So my question is, why don't we treat Δy and y the same way? Why is it not Δy+y = 1/x +1/Δx

UPDATE: Is this because Δy means "An increment in y" while y means "A complete function", so by adding 2*Δy on the left side we are not adding 2 functions on the right, but we are incrementing x to 2*Δx and this is the same as (x + 2*Δx) :D

Last edited:
christian0710 said:
Then I think I'm misunderstanding one very important thing, so let's see where my logic is wrong:

Above we agreed that
Δy+y = f(Δx+x), So i assume this means "So if you add some y or Δy or 1/y to the left side it's the same as putting it into the f(x) operator, so if the left side says
Δy+Δy+y then this is equal to f(Δx+Δx+y)
In general, no.

In your first post, you started with f(x) = x2, so let's stick with that.
You should sketch a graph of this function, with two points labeled: A(x, x2) and B(x + Δx, (x + Δx)2). The horizontal distance between A and B is Δx. The vertical distance between A and B is Δy = (x + Δx)2 - x2 = 2xΔx + (Δx)2. If we add a third point C(x + 2Δx, (x + 2Δx)2), the vertical distance between B and C will NOT be Δy.

BTW, f is a function, not an operator. f(x) is the number that the function associates with a value x in the domain of f.
christian0710 said:
and therefor it should also be true that y+1/y = f(x+1/x) So I'm erroneously treating Δy like y?
Please reread what I wrote in post # 6. I already addressed why this is wrong.
christian0710 said:
Just to make sure, could this be one of my wrong ways of thinking ?
If f(x)=y=1/x then
y+Δy = 1((x+Δx) which is true
No, it's not true, due to a typo.

Since you started off this thread with f defined as f(x) = x2, you should use a different letter if you now want to work with a different function.

Let's say g(x) = 1/x
So g(x + Δx) = ##\frac{1}{x + \Delta x}##
##\Delta y = g(x + \Delta x) - g(x) = \frac{1}{x + \Delta x} - \frac{1}{x}##
christian0710 said:
BUT now I'm erroneously thinking that if you put something on the left side, it goes into the "x" on the right side, and therefore:
y+y = 1/(x+x) (I think I'm treating γ like Δy) while in fact it should be y+y = 1/x+1/x =2/x

So my question is, why don't we treat Δy and y the same way? Why is it not Δy+y = 1/x +1/Δx
Δx is a symbol that represents a "small" change in x. Δy similarly represents a small change in y. More precisely, Δy = f(x + Δx) - f(x).

The main problem, as I see it, is that you are focussing on the left side without understanding what the right side of your equation means.

Likes christian0710
christian0710 said:

Above we agreed that
Δy+Δy+y then this is equal to f(Δx+Δx+y) and therefor it should also be true that y+1/y = f(x+1/x) So I'm erroneously treating Δy like y?Just to make sure, could this be one of my wrong ways of thinking ?
If f(x)=y=1/x then
y+Δy = 1((x+Δx) which is true BUT now I'm erroneously thinking that if you put something on the left side, it goes into the "x" on the right side, and therefore:

UPDATE: Is this because Δy means "An increment in y" while y means "A complete function", so by adding 2*Δy on the left side we are not adding 2 functions on the right, but we are incrementing x to 2*Δx and this is the same as (x + 2*Δx) :D

You're getting yourself in a real old tangle here! First (by definition):

##\Delta y = y(x + \Delta x) - y(x)##

And that's about it, really.

Whereas, I think you want to define:

##\Delta y = y(\Delta x)##

Last edited:
Likes christian0710
It's something like y=f(x), so, /frac{1}{y}=/frac {1}{f(x)}

In a function you should put the value of the variable of which the function is of. In case of f(x) for new values of x (which may be x+del x, or 1 or 3 or any such) you should put the value in the function.

+
PeroK said:
You're getting yourself in a real old tangle here! First (by definition):

##\Delta y = y(x + \Delta x) - y(x)##

And that's about it, really.

Whereas, I think you want to define:

##\Delta y = y(\Delta x)##

YES I think I finally understand it now, I just couldn't see the full argument : Do we agree on this:

The book says f(x) = x2

So when we start with
y = y(x) =x^2

and when we add Δy, we are actually doing this

y +Δy = y(x) +(y(x+Δx) -y(x)) = y(x+Δx) = (x+Δx)2

I couldn't understand that when we add Δy on the left side, it looked like it suddently appeared inside y(x) as y(x+Δx). beucase all i saw on the left side was, that when you add Δy on the left side, it appears inside x as (x+Δx) so i thought that because Δy+y = f(x+Δx) then it must also be true that y+y = f(x+x) but Mark44 helped me se that it's not the case and the reason that y +Δy = y(x+Δx) is because y +Δy = y(x) +(y(x+Δx) -y(x)) = y(x+Δx)

Thank you guys :D

Likes fireflies
The point is that they are trying to answer "if we increase x a small amount, what happens to y?" If [itex]y= x^2[/itex] and we increase x by the small amount [itex]\Delta x[/itex], then y is changed to [itex](x+ \Delta x)^2= x^2+ 2(\Delta x)x+ (\Delta x)^2[/itex]. Since that [itex]x^2[/itex] is just y itself, this is the same as [itex]y+ 2(\Delta x)x+ (\Delta x)^2[/itex]. So increasing x by [itex]\Delta x[/itex] increases y by [itex]2(\Delta x)x+ (\Delta x)^2[/itex] which, since it is a small increase in y, we call [itex]\Delta y[/itex].

Related to Problem understanding mathematical argumentation

1. What is mathematical argumentation?

Mathematical argumentation is the process of using logical reasoning and evidence to support a mathematical claim or statement. It involves constructing a clear and coherent argument using mathematical concepts, definitions, and theorems.

2. Why is understanding mathematical argumentation important?

Understanding mathematical argumentation is important because it helps develop critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to analyze and evaluate mathematical arguments. It also enables one to communicate mathematical ideas effectively and make sound decisions based on mathematical reasoning.

3. How can one improve their understanding of mathematical argumentation?

One can improve their understanding of mathematical argumentation by actively engaging in mathematical discussions and debates, practicing constructing and critiquing arguments, and seeking feedback from peers and experts. Additionally, regularly reviewing and reflecting on past mathematical arguments can also enhance understanding.

4. What are some common challenges in understanding mathematical argumentation?

Some common challenges in understanding mathematical argumentation include struggling to clearly articulate ideas and reasoning, difficulty in identifying and addressing logical fallacies, and limited knowledge of relevant mathematical concepts and principles. Additionally, personal biases and emotions can also hinder one's ability to understand and evaluate mathematical arguments objectively.

5. How does understanding mathematical argumentation relate to other areas of mathematics?

Understanding mathematical argumentation is closely related to other areas of mathematics, such as problem-solving and proof-writing. It also plays a crucial role in fields that heavily rely on mathematical reasoning, such as science, engineering, and computer science. Additionally, understanding mathematical argumentation can also aid in developing a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications.